Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Arrowheads on my trails

Hello all.

I have 60 acres I share with my family. I’m an avid mountain biker. I’ve been cutting in trails for a few years. Every now and then an arrowhead pops on. This week I found a monster (for what I tend to find).

I was wondering. Should I actually start LOOKING for more things. Are we missing a chance to find some really neat items?

Secondly. If we wanted to find a place to dig a hole would that be silly? I’ve read so many different things on here. Maybe we should start in the area we seem to find the most.

any help or thoughts is most appreciated!

jenny

Click image for larger version

Name:	08F08BD5-DA73-40AD-AB8B-8F1816FC64B5.jpeg
Views:	524
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	609913

Welcome to the forum and nice introduction. It depends upon how involved you want to get, soil conditions, percentage of projectile points found in an area, etc. A lot to read in this section with some great information on how, where and why.
    Last edited by gregszybala; 01-24-2022, 02:49 PM.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida Jenny,..That’s a nice find..what you have is actually a knife that’s been resharpened a few times..Cool..Not familiar with Arkansas hunting
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Thank you both! I’ll have to get to started reading up on how/where to start. Maybe we got lucky finding this. But it seems like if they are just out there on the ground there is no telling what we could find under the earth.

when I was a kid we would look around in my grandfathers garden before he would plant his crops. That’s my only experience hunting… so far.

Comment

Nice find. What is the soil like there? Over here in east TN we have clay. Back up north in Connecticut we had great soil for digging. A lot of roots and rocks but you could easily see the layered stratification in the soil. Up there a rule of thumb was an inch of soil was 400 years. I never dug in TN except to put in fence posts and mail boxes. Its tough digging clay. You have to wet it first and thin it is hard to sift because its like mud. I would walk the property . If you find artifacts on the surface try a test hold 2 feet square 20 inches deep or so. If you find nothing fill it in mark it some how as allready checked and then move. What part of youy can just say Norther north western northe astern southern and so on. Its a nice looking artifact and I agree with Hal its a knife. Welcome to arrowheads.com.
          That point might be a Kings point we have members from out your way. If I am wrong they will correct me.
          Last edited by Hoss; 01-13-2022, 12:29 AM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jbfatcats
            Jbfatcats commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Hoss.

The soil here tends to be a little clay. Where we live though its rock! It was actually an old rock quarry. There are pockets of dirt but sooner or later you will find rock. We'll give a few holes a try in the area these are being found.

An inch of soil = 400 years. That's wild!

That point does favor the Kings. Great material, too. Keep eyeballing those bike trails.
          North Carolina

Comment

Nice knife. Yes u should be able to find much more.
            South Dakota

Comment

Nice material. You mention your land being a rock quarry... could it have been a source for chert/ flint in ancient times? If it was, you will find many more. Another mountain biker on the forum! Ride as much as I can over here in Ohio. fldwlkr
              Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Now that sounds great ! Biking and looking for points .
                If you have been finding them more will come .
                Especially if you see and area with just chips and pottery .
                You have a camp .

Comment

Welcome from……Arkansas.

nice find. That Lithic looks familiar….noviculite, I think??
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                  X