Hunting Cedar's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Cedar's

I was recently asked how I find sites in the Cedars. Like most all that hunters look for is a water source. This will not be all inclusive, but will give insight to one way of hunting the cedars.
    The sites that I am looking for are winter/spring camps so water is not a factor in locating sites. What I look for is a south eastern exposure with a slight incline. I stated that water is not a factor for the reason that snow pack is readily available. Exposure: for warmth of the early sun and wind break. Incline: for drainage.
    I look for flakes like most all hunters do, but I also look for hammer stones, Wickee-ups and cut trees for firewood.
    Here are a few examples from my latest trip.
    Over view of the area:

Terrain and view prospective:

Cut trees:

Hammer stones:

Flakes:

Wickee-up
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Wickee-up poles:

Comment

Man that looks like an awusome place to hunt ! exposed ground is not an option around here unless some one has turned it up lol
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Thanks for the lesson Chase.  I'm not familiar with the term wickee-up.  I'm also
        not sure what you see in a tree stump that gives you clues.  Don't get me wrong,  I'm
        not questioning you,  I'm just not seeing what you did.  Thanks   Gary
        South Dakota

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

Thanks for the lesson Chase.  I'm not familiar with the term wickee-up.  I'm also
          not sure what you see in a tree stump that gives you clues.  Don't get me wrong,  I'm
          Gary, The tree stump was not a saw cut more or less hacked like an axe. wickee-up another term for a tepee. most of what you see are what is left, and it is to the trained eye to recognize what it was. Not to many hunt this type of terrain. But it is different approach than most ways of hunting.

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

Originally posted by SDhunter post=61652
            Gary, The tree stump was not a saw cut more or less hacked like an axe. wickee-up another term for a tepee. most of what you see are what is left, and it is to the trained eye to recognize what it was. Not to many hunt this type of terrain. But it is different approach than most ways of hunting.
              Thanks Chase,   I see what your talking about with the stump.  Fun to get the ideas,  if by chance a guy ever gets
            to that kind of terrain.   Gary
            South Dakota

Comment

I need to take a road trip! Very cool Chase, talking about getting the lay of the land, not like walking a corn field! Thanks!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I agree with Greg, that would be a lot different hunting than I am used to.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

I agree with Greg, that would be a lot different hunting than I am used to.
                  Kinda my point here. I have the opportunity to hunt in a vast amount of territory's. Each one has its own set of parameters that make it unique. I will say that a challenge is before me every where I go, to figure out where and what to hunt. For me this is second nature, but for others would be lost in where and what to look for.
                  Here is what I purpose, share your knowledge is as to how you find sites! 
                  Chase

Comment

Ok Chase , here I go . I live in the ozark mountians, and there is not any exposed ground here but what is turned by man . so I like to stay close to water , it floods ALOT in the bottoms , I will walk these creeks and rivers looking for the first large flat places out of the flood zone. and I also like to hunt where creeks hit the lakes and where large creeks meet together . Bluffs that were cut by water, if they r flat on top and are stable on top then that is an other key spot to look. overhangs and rock shelters, I start looking out in front as aposed to under it, LOL, ( I dont see the native woman letting the guys make a mess with shards of rocks where they had to walk) . alittle off the top of my head , hope this helps some body, HAPPY HUNTING
                    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                    NW Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                    X