Woods hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woods hunting

Has anyone had much looking in the woods? I’ve found them in the woods before where cows were pastured or on paths. There’s some spots I know of that are wooded that I feel would produce but wasn’t sure if there was a good way to go about it.

It sucks but i have screened in big timber

Comment

Originally posted by Tcast09 View Post
      Has anyone had much looking in the woods? I’ve found them in the woods before where cows were pastured or on paths. There’s some spots I know of that are wooded that I feel would produce but wasn’t sure if there was a good way to go about it.
      Yes Tcast. What I do is look around the big trees. As trees grow big they bring up material from underground. If you are on a wooded site these trees will have points tools and chips and flakes. Also look around Ground holes or if you have gofers or ground squirrels, anything that has brought up submerged soil. Also any animal runs. I have had some good luck hunting woodlot sites. Good question. Most folks won't even think of hunting there. But with no till farming you have to think outside the box if you want to keep finding Artifacts. Thanks for asking. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that is a given after a rain .

Yes.. have dealt with roots..that’s the bad part..In Florida the shade is welcome..Dig in and get that experience 👍
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Thanks everyone I think that’s what I will do when the hot summer is here and crops are on. I agree with the no till farming being hard artifacts.

Comment

Some folks use a leaf blower and rakes to clear spots of leaves and debris. I’ve tried to rake route. Lots of work .
          👍😁
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Leaf blower
            New Jersey

Comment

we dig test holes in the woods and screen for evidence, mostly look for erosion that has exposed any chips ,.follow the chips when you can find them
              2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Originally posted by LongStride View Post
                we dig test holes in the woods and screen for evidence, mostly look for erosion that has exposed any chips ,.follow the chips when you can find them

As do i mostly check drainages that run twords the river that are along the heavily wooded edges of plowed fields

Comment

Something else we have tried is poking a long steel rod in dirt , feeling and listening for rocks
                  2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Only on paths and wash outs .
                    If you think it’s promising and can dig ..
                    Always a timber clearings and burns .
                    I always hear about root balls but never found anything .

Comment

I know this is an older post, but I've just recently started hunting arrowheads. I hunt on family land that is planted with long leaf pine trees. Most of the land is nothing but limestone, but I've found a few spots by the small creek that runs through. This area was clear cut around 12 years ago and replanted. Every time I rake back the pinestraw,I get tons of debitage! I pick up every piece I see! In the month that I've been hunting, I've got almost 3-5 gallon buckets and a 20 gallon aquarium full of flakes and broken points. Most everything is between surface level and 6 to 8 inches deep in the rich black soil. I find tons of stuff around the tree trunks and roots. Only found 3 or 4 complete points and several scrapers but I enjoy everything I find. My wife has already told me that I got to find somewhere else to keep my "rocks"!I work night shift from 7p to 7a and with my narcolepsy, I'm not tired when I get off so I go to the woods! I find myself there 3 to 4 hours. I just lose track of time! I can roughly get between 100 to 200 pieces each time I go. So, moral of the story is, yes, I've had luck in the woods!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Use a rake, cheaper and less noise. I'm gonna hit the woods this weekend due to all the rain messing up the creeks.

Comment

Originally posted by LongStride View Post
                          Something else we have tried is poking a long steel rod in dirt , feeling and listening for rocks
                          that's a great way to find bottles as well. I use a cetme bayonet.

Comment

Looks like a couple nice points in there. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                            X