Right to Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to Left

Just read an interesting tip that makes complete sense.
    We read from left to right. Hence, when we scan that way we internally do it so quickly it is tainted by throwing cautious observation out the window.
    Those hunters looking to acquire game or, as in our case, artifacts hunters seeking a point, we should strive to scan right to left.
    Because it takes deeper concentration or focus, objects and targets are far more noticeable.
    I must confess…I am so excited when my son and I find an artifact that I do not recall if it was left to right or right to left.
    I welcome all thoughts.
    I learned the military teaches this technique.
    Flint Eastwood
    northwestern Pennsylvania

In artifact hunting, you could stand on your head, scan up and down and get the same results… if you know where you’re going to find them…😄
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• UpNorth
      UpNorth commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Flint, I’m calling it the “bird’s eye” view. I’m trying it tomorrow….🙃

I did a fair amount of instinct hunting
    Floridaboy.

Comment

We were talking about year erosions this morning . Like a pyramid the top is woodland and the bottom of a hill and washouts at a pitch/angle that would be at least 15 ft we find the archaic .

Comment

use a random pattern style search, artifact to rock ratio is 1 in 100,000 maybe, when see the flaking or sheen then focus on that area and re scan , that's how I do it
        2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

That's neat. I've read that some people are predisposed to spot movement (hunter), some are predisposed to spot patterns (gatherer.) Although many of us would think we are hunters, the reality is we might have gotten a good dose of genetics from our gatherer ancestors.

I tend to move quickly when I am not on a site, but when I get to the right area or the instinct hits and says slow down, I slow down and often search an area multiple times on a grid.

Out in the desert my step counter is helpful because I can pull up a map, and it's amazing even when being careful how you can miss pretty significant areas even when you think you are walking a tight grid. (I think I am walking a grid, but instead of 8 feet between lines I apparently stagger like a drunk and there are spots where I am 30 or 40 feet between lines.)
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Idk Flint.....its an interesting concept and im not sure which way my head moves when scanning.....maybe it is left to right....im with clovisoid on this one.....if i am at a location with any kind of debitage i am definitely walking a tight grid and looking from all angles.......of i am at a new location, im scanning back and forth, walking kinda fast until i start seeing indications that artifacts may be present........now, there are those one off occasions where i stumble upon a find with no debitage around...ill usually slow my stroll and begin a walk pattern over that area as well just to cover different views/angles
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
            X