X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me take it to the next level!

New guy here!
    looking for advice on next step.

At our family farm I have been arrowhead hunting for the past 5 years. Pretty much all surface hunting on roads and tilled up foodplots, and I have found a variety of points from early archaic to woodland.

My son has recently started walking the creek and is finding tons of pottery with beautiful designs. I feel like there must be whole, unbroken pots nearby. He has probably found 20 pounds worth in the last 3 hunts.

My question is where to start and what would be the best technique to take it to the next level.

I have attached 2 pics of the land including where we are finding concentrations of artifacts, circled in red.
    the creek is where the pottery is coming from.
    Last edited by Craigaria; 06-04-2022, 01:18 PM.

Additional pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice finds! be careful when posting photos too much info your site will be invaded.

Comment

Thanks! I'll edit pics to remove markers

Comment

Here is the layout of the land and a topo map. What would the pros do next
          Attached Files

Comment

On the satellite map the 2 small circles are where i found multiple surface finds, points. The creek is where the pottery is coming from

Comment

See if you can put some of the pottery back together. Hal has proven that it can be done. 😁
              South Carolina

Comment

He does have multiple pieces with the same design on them. Do you think the pottery is falling out of the creek banks? Should I dig on the walls?

Comment

I'd like to try some test digs also, hopefully someone can identify a good starting point.

This is a very small shallow creek.

Comment

• SGT.Digger
                    SGT.Digger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try where the two creeks/drainage areas come together. I see two on the map . Find the flattest areas where they come together And start there . There is obviously a large site based upon the amount of pottery and different ages too . Location location location and it looks like yours had water . Get 1/4” hardware cloth and build a screen to sift and start on the high bank of the creek . The flatter the better out of any floodplain . Won’t take very many shovels full before you know your on to something. Without walking the property it would be hard for anyone to say where to start .
                    Last edited by SGT.Digger; 06-05-2022, 09:15 PM.

Test pit, test pit, test pic. To the hardpan.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

Let’s see some of the points your finding

Comment

Comment

Comment

My son is 11 and he has been surface hunting the creek. I really want to start doing some sifting when I get back down there, hopefully this weekend.
                          I'd really like to try digging and I have a couple of spots that look like a good place but they are off the creek a couple hundred yards. With him finding so much pottery in the creek, and the fact that it is a small creek that rarely floods, im wondering if i need to start digging on the creek banks or should i rule that out?

Comment

Thanks SGT.Digger! Good info

Comment

Working...
                            X