Sunshine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunshine

Sometimes the angle of the sun will help you find stuff and sometimes it makes it a little harder but it is good with the sun is directly overhead ll and sometimes it's better when it's cloudy Well I guess any time is a good time lol "Find Um Up!"😂 And good Luck !!!
    New Jersey

Yes, I’ve heard that from several Texas hunters that only look certain time of day when sun glints offa flint. Such a different world from digging in red clay!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      🤗.

👍
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Very true. The angle of the sun can help you see multi-faceted things making worked pieces easier to see IMO. But I get out every time I can no matter lol

Comment

Could not agree more.
        Cannot put my finger on it, but sometimes the lighting is just right and I could jog and see them all.
        Other times, I feel like I need to slow to a crawl to find anything!
        Flint
        northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

It's strange how they pop out in the right light .
          New Jersey

Comment

When walking a site that had lots of chert chips and points I used to walk back the same way on the same grid line cause points that I missed going one way would show when I made the second pass.

Comment

just saw this thread. Glint spotting when the sky is clear and the sun is somewhat low can be the best time of day. In the dead of winter the sun stays low pretty much all day which is great for spotting. In the summer, I usually go in the morning before it gets too hot. Since we have sand here and very few indigenous rocks (other than caliche), shiny flint really stands out in contrast. just walk a weaving pattern looking into the sun. You can spot the flint up to 20' away! I'll still go on a cloudy day but it's a different style of hunting, pretty much a neck breaker looking straight down, lol. Note: JJ (Lindenmeier-Man) taught me this!
              Last edited by TexAg; 01-21-2023, 08:48 AM.
              Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

My favorite hunting conditions are right after a rain when there is still cloud cover but the sunlight is filtered. 👌
                South Carolina

Comment

• Josie
                  Josie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too Caleb. I don’t like to hunt in full sun. Cloudy or filtered sunlight.

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like to dig after a rain!

• Hal Gorges
                  Hal Gorges commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmmm, that’s a tough one Caleb..Would have to have been after a big storm..🇺🇸.

Not to much on the sun/cloud debate but your shadow, in my opinion, can be your biggest enemy. Sometimes unavoidable but if i can i will avoid it at all costs.

Comment

• Pishtaka
                  Pishtaka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really throws me off too. I've literally walked half a mile backwards to avoid looking at my shadow. I've considered going out at night with a headlamp, won't have to fight with Mr.Shadow.

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As someone who sits down in the dirt and digs holes, I never thot about the things y’all are saying. PaleoSnow, I now have image you running from your shadow!

Never liked that either avoid it whenever possible as well !!!
                New Jersey

Comment

I dont have a favorite time of day or preference in the sun or clouds. It does change the way i look and approach things though. When walking creeks with rocky bottoms if the sun is bright i like to look in the water bc of course it penetrates to the bottom and u can look a little deeper. Cloudy and i cant see down in water so good, ill stick to the banks or waters edge. And then if im following rain i stay on the bank especially if theye sandy. If following hard winds or fast fall in level…waters edge. Some of my spots are no secret and often youll find yourself following human tracks, somewhat discouraging i dont let it bother me to much because they tell me alot. Most importantly, where they didnt look or go. And ive found them practically in footprints as well. You cant be looking in every direction at once, the angle of approach by someone, or even sun/cloud factor can cause the best of us to miss them. My rule of thumb is ALWAYS hunt back too, meaning dont just race back haphazardly but hunt it just as you did heading in. I often find just as many headed back. Due to those few factors mentioned. And up here theres so many rocks in most the creeks its hard to scan and take it all in anyways. Youll often find “dummies” seen from far off you couldnt miss but sometimes its just that smallest piece of flaking, color, or shape thatll catch your eye. The more and longer you stare at rocks and the ground in life the more trained your eyes become to spot those shapes, colors, and worked materials And the more trained your brain gets on how to perceive and change your search methods depending on conditions or factors. Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you’ll become. I never wear sunglasses, i can only trust my naked eyes too. Everyone is different though i guess, go with you know and what has worked best for you. Like someone else mentioned, there is no BAD time to go, you wont find them on the couch! Good luck to everyone this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X