Riparian zone / Groundhog holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riparian zone / Groundhog holes

This is the time of the year that hunting Artifacts can get slow. I have a cure for that. Most creek/river sites fields have a riparian zone. This is a wood line that prevents erosion of soils into the stream. Now if some of your best hunts are along streams with a riparian zone you’re in luck. So I hunt the groundhog holes. If your area doesn’t have groundhogs you may still have rodents that dig borrows. These animals are my good friends because they dig down into the site and uproot hidden materials. Often unearthing Artifacts in their endeavor to create shelters. Look also for blown down trees as their root system too will hold Artifacts. I also look around the larger trees. As these behemoths’ grow they also bring up buried materials, I call them tree rings and if there are Artifacts in their vicinity they will be lying around these trees. I’m giving you this Information so you can try it out. If you find anything please post them and let me know. Below are two pieces I found today. Both at one groundhog hole and within 17 inches of each other. Sorry for the poor quality in the first pict. This is one of my secrets’ so please don’t tell anyone in my area, LOL. I wish you luck. Kim.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4326.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	650408Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4328.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	650409
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Awesome tip Kim! If I had creeks near me I would try this.
    Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

You need to start feeding the ground hogs peanuts. Maybe they would dig up a storm. 😉
      South Carolina

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Yah and if I only could bury the peanuts nice and deep. I can imagen seeing a dust bowel over their holes!

I run to those animal holes after a rain . The largest piece of pottery I ever found was on the side wall of a hole . They do all the work .

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep Tam ya gotta love em. K

Personally, I have yet to find a woodchuck wonder.
      However, one kind farmer who lets my son and me hunt has. He only has 1 artifact, but it is a dandy. It is a long, perfect point.
      Flint Eastwood
      northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	34844E64-A88E-4179-8629-F35F604E7635.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	652791
        hard workers out in the mid-west, those gophers are!

Comment

I found my one and only paleo point sitting on top of the “throw dirt” of a gopher hole! Now I don’t walk past a fresh mound without at least a glance. Sure slows down my work on the ranch though! 😂

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            It has to be well worth the time if you find a Paleo. That's wonderful. Now show me that point, (please) K

Nice Glad your up out and about !!! I'll bet if you went through the mound with a trowel you could find a cpl too
          New Jersey

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't tried that Bull but I must take a trowel next time. And thanks I'm doing better almost all my pain is gone. Still wearing a back belt. K

Mattern, my paleo point is my profile pic. It’s a Golondrina.

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            And a very nice one at that. Thanks for showing me / us. K

Nice I would just work the dirt back into the hole so the groundhogs has something to do in the spring Glad your Feeling Better !!!!!!
          New Jersey

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            I did that once. Ground hog dug down into a feature and pulled out a nice Dutch trade Pipe as well as some other things we're not to discuss here. I thanked him! K
        Working...
        X