Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where would you start looking on this site? (pic included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where would you start looking on this site? (pic included)

This is a random property in the upper Mississippi river valley - but this is VERY similar to my entire area. I know that "stuff is where you find it", but I'd obviously like to increase my odds and learn as much as I can in the limited time I have. Let's say the property owner gives you permission to hunt this area for 1 day, and you've only got time to hit a few spots. To those of you with lots of experience, what's your thought process? (Let's say Fields at A and B are disced/plowed, and the creek/river levels are low)

I would start with B. When two courses of water come together it's often a highly likely place to find artifacts. Area A would be the next place I would look but chances are the wooded areas cover the better spots. Keep in mind that in the past (at least in SW Wisconsin where I hunt) it was Oak Savannah and prairie on the ridge tops with wooded valleys and slopes.

Comment

Here is what I do in a new field. I tend to meander around looking for the most likely spots in the field. When I find some flakes I stick my hunting stick in the ground. Make sure that it won't fall over. Then start walking around in circles like a snail, ever widening your circle. By doing this you can quickly determine a nucleus of a site. If it doesn't pan out move on till you find other hot spots of material and do the same. But don't forget your stick. This way you can quickly decide where the hot spots are. Also make a mental reminder in case you get to go back next year. I agree with Glenner that B would be my first choice. If there are any rises in the field head for those first. This has always worked fore me. I wish you a productive hunt kpk. Kim.
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

B, c, a

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your thinkin..it’s called the extra mile, no field unsearched..

Pretty much what has already been said. Also, if the creek is low I would try and walk down in it just upstream of its confluence of the river. Good luck and keep us posted!
        Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

I have always been lucky on high ground up from the water . A
          I cannot predict how that water has changed ovef 3 k years
          I believe I would go for each area because you do have permission . Don’t waste it right !!

Comment

Cover it all.. start on the higher ground.
            finding arrowheads, artifacts is easy.
            finding the campsites is the challenge.
            look for chips, debitage and flint. If you’re not finding clues to a campsite/ village, move on to another property.. gaining permission to hunt on many properties is the key . Meet people in person.. not by phone calls or letters.
            stick to the valleys, is what I do. Ridgetop huntings is a whole different game. We have a short prime time season for field hunting.. mid May through June. When you find the campsites walk the standing corn in the fall. When field hunting is over creek hunting’s the way to go, it is tougher, but we’ll worth it, when you find the spots. Patience and determination and a lot of footwork is required, when you find your first artifact… it will lead to many more….✌️
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• outlaws15
              outlaws15 commented
              Editing a comment
              I looked for u in the pick up above. I tried to draw u in, but I'm not as good as u and Hal

Where...? Umm Yes, creek if low then fields where plowed or possible. If the fields by the creeks have suttle rises I'm heading for them

Comment

Working...
            X