Recognizing Interesting Erosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognizing Interesting Erosion

At times it can be dificult to recognize erosion. These are not pendants or beads. They are all 100% natural but I did have fun collecting them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone3.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	667117Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone6.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	667118Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone1.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	667119Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone5.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	667120Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleinStone2.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	667121

This is not an anchor: It's 100% natural limestone and the water eroded a hole in it.

Name:	HoleinStone4.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	667122

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

This one fooled me: It's a 100% natural Omar.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Omar a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	667124Click image for larger version  Name:	Omar b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	667125

This big thin piece of rock could be used for many things but it's 100% natural freez pop.

Name:	limestone freez pop a.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	667131Click image for larger version

Name:	limestone freez pop b.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	667130

Other interesting shapes. All are 100% natural.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	667126Click image for larger version  Name:	StoneSinker.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	667127Click image for larger version  Name:	YouNameIt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	667128
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 12-13-2022, 11:32 AM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

We collect them also, I believe natives utilized them evidenced by a heap of them I found at the hill on the river with the camp circles, some showed signs of being pecked to open up.the hole, I theorised the heap was once some kind of net or fishing basket trap that rotted away long ago leaving only the stones
      2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Thank you for this thread. Geofacts such as these (as well as hag stones) definitely create a lot of confusion amongst those of us who are new to studying artifacts.

Here's a photo of a hag stone - completely natural - that I posted in a thread a while back. While not a human-made artifact, it was, apparently, found in a field a little over a mile from the ocean. I guess I'll never really know how it got there. I doubt it walked from the beach to field so someone must have brought it there. Who and when I have no idea.
        Attached Files

Comment

Good post Ron and needed.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

O, Wow! You got some gooood stuff, Ron!
            I will admit that holes in rock have me pondering much harder than those in shells. (I’m pretty fair at examining shell to determine if exterior hole opening “countersunk”, drilled not by man but by another gastropod. But, rocks…… , huh…..)
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

thanks Ron for posting a lesson on how to tell a rock from an artifact, your right about needing this post on the forum, my post about possible use isn't helping your cause, these are all God made artifacts, I like the long pencil ones and ones with holes, any shape where something could be tied to it, pondering a couple of the ones in my pic could be dinosaur gizzard stones ??
              Attached Files

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, but gotta acknowledge those NAs like me absolutely thrilled to find, thread with leather cord to proudly hang beautiful “pendant” round neck!

Great post Ron. I, like others have found many. Here is a classic. K

Name:	IMG_4635.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	667155
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

A few I have pics of. I toss them on my root cellar.
                N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Oh man thanks fo sharing , folks..That’s some really neat stuff .
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

Very informative post Ron. I too have a couple that fooled me…Thanks for sharing!
                    North Central Kentucky

Comment

got several of those "paint pots" they work great for grinding stuff and more sturdy than muscle shell
                      here is my moccasin effigy complete with dragonfly motif
                      all God made artifacts
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ron. It is a great thread and like Greg said, it was needed. I just discovered the thread and wanted to give you an "attaboy".

Comment

Nice thread Ron .. love getting a rare lesson from you
                          We use coral with worm holes for key chains here in Hawaii .

Comment

We see tons of eroded rock in Fla. My favorite are those where the fossil has eroded out. That type of material was used extensively as net weights. The only one worth keeping are the ones with string wear from hanging on the net so long. A lot of landscapers love the big pieces here in Fla, have see pieces 4ft or bigger.

Comment

Working...
                            X