Sunny side of a rise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny side of a rise?

Y’all know more than me, wondering what you think. Seems several rises in fields that have produced artifacts around here seem to produce the most “trash” (I call it) on the southwest slope, where the sun still hits as the other side is shady in the evenings. Finding areas with flakes, broken bits and jagged points, but definite signs someone’s been a-workin. Is this a coincidence? Maybe catching last of daylight to work by? But - One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Love finding these work areas. Anyone else notice this? Could just be the areas I’m in? (Ohio)

Little rises and knobs can produce great Artifacts Bill. In my area Central Pa. typically the camp was situated on the east of the slope. Morning sun warmed up the camp. And your right the western side would be warmer in the eve. Good observation on you. Welcome to arrowheads.com . Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Interesting question. I think of how the topography of a location has changed over the millennia. Sometimes drastically. Climate change, erosion, rivers meandering across the landscape and most recently on the geological stage agriculture. Continuous plowing and planting for in some areas well over a hundred years can scatter artifacts over a large area. High ground especially near rivers, streams and lakes much like today has always been prime real estate. Could be that people were seeking the warmth of the morning sun or could be like the Mound Builders. The elite of many groups may have gotten the best spot on the high ground and the working class lower down LOL. Not much different from today. The distant past is covered by the heavy mist of time and it is often hard to see through that mist.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooo Uncle, you waxing poetic!

Interesting assessment. I oftenthought that work areas were done upwind or to the sides of the prevailing winds to get out of the smoke . 😜

Comment

Hmm… know some fine flint-finders here that hunt particular time because say flint will glint then, easier to see….
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
        X