Arrowhead Quest in North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowhead Quest in North Carolina

I found an arrowhead in NJ (still have it) when I was 10. Now I am 65 and all five of my children want me to leave it to them. I need to find four more! My son now plays lacrosse for UNC and I will be in NC for lacrosse games for the next two years(live in New Hampshire where I have not found anything). i have read Yeager's "Arrowheads and Stone Artifacts" and other books. I imagine NC is more fertile ground for finding artifacts than NH. I travel to Chapel Hill for lacrosse games. Any suggestions where, what county or region might be a good place to surface hunt or creek or field walk. I just want to find four artifacts then on to my next bucket list item. I reached out on this forum about five years ago and never quite managed to succeed in my goal though I explored some creeks in New York State and Pennsylvania but without success. Any suggestions as to county or town or region in NC? I recognize no one will draw a map etc but I would be most appreciative if someone could direct me in terms of East, West, North or South of Chapel Hill or any help at all. Thanks in advance.

Look in creeks around Occoneechee Mountain. ...

Comment

Thanks, really appreciate it

Comment

Your story of needing 4 arrowheads tugged at my heart strings. I am not an active poster here , rarely do I comment. Here is some solid help , read the following linked page carefully ... Pay particular attention to the Uwharrie mountains , Badin lake & the mentioned Hardaway site. It has produced world class artifacts. Be very careful where you collect. https://www.ourstate.com/arrowheads-uwharrie-mountains/

Comment

Great advice for foot. I've got the Coe book on Hardaway it's great b &w butthe pics are good, maps look great. (I should go). Good article thanks
          Last edited by awassamog; 03-21-2023, 11:35 PM.
          Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

• Footgepp
            Footgepp commented
            Editing a comment
            Wanted to give an update on my quest for four arrowheads. One down, three more to go! Thanks to Augmonic's advice and the article he suggested! I went to look in the creeks around Occoneechee Mountains. What I found were very muddy troughs and did not find any really fertile looking areas. He then directed me to look around Badin Lake, the Hardaway sites and Uwharrie Mountains. I walked a small creek with flowing waters near the Badin Lake and found what I believe is a Guilford point aged 3000-4000BC!!. I stopped in the Morrow Mountain State Park Museum and there on the wall in their small museum was a display of a Guilford Point that looked identical to what I found today. I am inspired heading back to New Hampshire Sunday but know NH has some major river waterways with a history of Indian sites. Believe after some homework and walking the rivers, banks and elsewhere, I will find a few more. Thanks so much to Augmonic for pointing me in a direction.......I really thank you for your advice!

Glad it produced a find for you. Since you are going to NH , read this & find feeder creeks to hunt feeding the river ... Good luck , it will take work on your part ... I lived in NYC IN the 70's & skied in NH & found many artifacts around Conway. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevi...eological_site
          Last edited by Augmonic; 03-24-2023, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Footgepp
            Footgepp commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks to your helpful suggestions, I believe I found these two objects and hope you agree that they are artifacts. The one on the Right I believe is a Guilford point and as I mentioned in the earlier post it looked identical to a sample artifact I saw in a museum. the object on the left looks very much like a Randolph point? which I understand were crude points from the 1700s or so, reworked. This info comes from a single book: "How to Find and identify Arrowheads" by Frank Kenan Barnard that I purchased at the North Carolina Museum of History in Raleigh(doing some homework) My concern is that the ?Randolph point has a flat side and a triangular side(see middle picture). any thoughts/? Did I find two artifacts? Two more to go?? Thanks ever so much again!! If anyone else could comment on whether they agree that these are two artifacts or not I would appreciate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4743.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	682493Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4747.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	682494Click image for larger version

Name:	arrowhead2.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	682495Click image for larger version

Name:	arrowhead2.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	682496
          Attached Files

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            The first one appears to just be a rock, other side shown in last photo I assume, and is not an artifact. In second photo, one on right, maybe, but need bigger and sharper photos. Might be, or might be another rock….

​ CMD: Thanks for your comment. I was very excited by what i believe is an artifact. This is a picture from my initial find with better lighting. It looks very much like artifacts I have seen in books and museums. The tip is broken but it is worked on both sides and I believe with the better lighting you will agree that it is not a rock but an artifact. I am having trouble uploading pictures but I will get some help from someone more tech savvy than myself if you still feel this is just another rock. The other photo on the left that has the coin next to it has the flat surface on the back, and does not have worked surfaces. I was mislead by Frank Kenan Barnard's book: "How to Find and Identify Arrowheads and Other Indian Artifacts" which I bought in the museum of history in Raleigh, NC. He described "crudely made points....often pitiful attempts at fashioning arrowheads." I was hopeful that the square bottom, pointed top and the flattened mid portion by the penny in the pictures was one of these crude attempts. I concede that it is an interesting shaped rock.......Do you still think the object on the left is a rock?

I am back in NH trying to decide where and how to find three more real artifacts to "will" to my children. Any advice or words of encouragement....Really interested in your interpretation of my newly submitted photo....Thanks

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            I do still think the piece on the left is just a rock. But nice sharp photos, etc., and we’ll have another look.

Come on down to south Jersey their are litterty tons of artifacts here in almost every field you walk most of it still undisturbed by man or plow .!
          New Jersey

Comment

• Footgepp
            Footgepp commented
            Editing a comment
            Hope this is not a dumb question but hope I get some constructive comments. I was driected to the Badin Lake region in North Carolina which was close to the famed Hardaway site. I did find an artifact pictured above with poor photos but will resubmit. Anyway, as I was driving towards Badin Lake there were numerous fields but they seemed very dry or located miles from a water source. Do I need to look for trees/springs/watersources near fields or should a farmed field miles from any obvious water source still be a good place to explore????. I somehow feel more comfortable exploring creeks or small rivers flowing into a bigger body of water as likely areas where I could find artifacts. Fields vs creeks,rivers?? And dry farmland?? Also am intrigued by the claim of " tons of artifacts here in almost every field you walk". Would be happy to road trip to NJ if possible to find some artifacts. Any comments would be most appreciated.

I wonder if there are tons of artifacts in South Jersey and surely many people would go there, why do you say the place is undisturbed by humans or plow?

[Hidden spam link removed by Moderator]
          Last edited by painshill; 10-18-2023, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I personally think that your best bet to have a decent chance to find good stuff in the central part of NC would be to watch the water levels on the yadkin lake chain and walk the shoreline when it's down a few feet. Look at " cube hydro Carolinas" for lake levels. If you want I can point you to some better places there. Scott

Comment

If you're going to hunt near the hardaway site, try plowed fields near and south of Town Creek Indian mound. That's where the good stuff is.

Comment

Working...
              X