Beans went in the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans went in the ground

Well, the beans got planted yesterday. That pretty much means off limits til they harvest right?

Looks like they planted them pretty close. I'm afraid of I step where they planted it might damage the beans. Or is it a non issue?

Prolly need to ask. Impressed you worried!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Walk the middle between the rows

Comment

Ask the farmer before you make the decision. They will let you know

Comment

Originally posted by SGT.Digger View Post
          Ask the farmer before you make the decision. They will let you know
          farmer rents from the land owner who gave me permission. They're not on great terms right now and I was asked not to interact with the farmer if I meet him, I was told he may try to tell me I can't be there, but the land owner explicitly say's I have run of the land.

Out of respect for the crops and the farmer beyond quarrels, I'd like to not hurt anything.

I was out there right after they planted and it seemed like they planted erratically. I could see some sewing lines 15" apart and then there'd be 5-6 lines 2-3" away from eachother. I tried to walk in the tractor tire paths, but those came and went too.

I figure if I wait for them to sprout in a week I will be able to tell where I can step and shouldn't perhaps.

Comment

You’re doing absolutely no damage to freshly planted seeds… after they germinate and sprout even if they’re stepped on they will still grow. I walk crops untill I no longer see ground…. Deer, turkey and other animals are the true culprits, they destroy crops by the acres…. Be respectfull, walk the rows and continue searching…. I’ve had zero problems by any property owners in dozens of fields.
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Originally posted by Up-north View Post
              You’re doing absolutely no damage to freshly planted seeds… after they germinate and sprout even if they’re stepped on they will still grow. I walk crops untill I no longer see ground…. Deer, turkey and other animals are the true culprits, they destroy crops by the acres…. Be respectfull, walk the rows and continue searching…. I’ve had zero problems by any property owners in dozens of fields.
              Thanks, North! Makes me feel a lot more at ease.

Comment

Sounds like the farmer might be somewhat cantankerous and will find reasons to complain. I would double check with the landowner as any conflict you have with the farmer will likely come back to him. But to answer your question; you should be just fine walking on a freshly planted bean field.

Comment

Pre sprout: no issues

Once they come up, I like to let them get a couple inches tall. Tall enough, my subconscious will keep me from stepping on them. Probably doesn't make any difference in a farmer's overall yield. It's more about respect.
                  Western Kentucky

Comment

Always check with the farmer about walking a planted field. Most of these folks respect the land so only makes sense to respect their hard work with a crop. I would say row planted beans shouldn’t be a problem. Broadcast beans are a different story. After the harvest you won’t be able to see the ground due to all the fodder left behind. Hopefully they’ll do a fall plow or disk and you have better luck.
                    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Seems your worried enough about it . With that I am sure your not going to be clod hopping on those sprouts .

Comment

I went back last weekend and the beans weren't even sprouting yet. Ground was rock hard, no damage to be done.

This week I expect sprouts up-to an inch.

I've been finding a lot of good stuff in this field after their till, so I am going to carefully keep walking the hotspots. I can walk the edge of the field all the way down and then hop in where I want to be. I don't think anyone would notice I was ever there.

Comment

The law may be different in Wisconsin but in PA if the farmer rents the ground you need his permission not the land owner. As a farmer I personally don't want people on my bean fields if they have germinated especially if we use the narrow row planter as the rows can be tight. Despite what others have said stepping on sprouted beans can damage or slow the growth of the plant.
                          Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Working...
                          X