creekbed hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creekbed hunting

Any artifact hunters out there that go for the lowest ground in the summertime? I for one was probably the most skeptical about looking in the creeks for arrowheads until one day i had an overwhelming urge to make a dive for it in a creek we call the crooked creek. it was my first real attempt at looking in one and low and behold......found a greenbriar dalton and just like a fish, i was hooked! lol my user name on here comes from my best creek find, and one of my favorite old spears ever made in general.(They just look wicked) also was a very early type believe them to be 9000 to 11000 bp prob succeeded dalton variants.......anyway they r older than dirt. here the two images

first creek find here

Comment

Welcome to the forum from kansas. Very nice looking points, I to like very much hunting creeks and rivers. At least you can hunt them most all year round. Again welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the club Stillwell, I am already envious! Great finds, personally have had little to no success in the creeks, but I'm not dead yet either!!! Stillwell points are from the early archaic, around 9000-7000 BP. Many think that the Stillwell is related to the Kirk blades in style. Either way great finds, I hope to post plenty of artifacts this weekend. If no success I can at least come back here and drool over all you folks stuff.

Comment

Ok...I may have found a new hobby!  When you say hunting in the creeks, do you usually find things when the water is running pretty high or do you wait until the creek beds dry up?  We have lots of creeks in the bottoms on our place and I'm wondering if I should look there...

Comment

Liz we usually find points on the sand or gravel bars that appear when the water drops. Have had finds in water also but when water is shallow less than foot deep, depends on how clear water is.

Comment

Well I'm going creekbed hunting!  My son has found several large fossilized crinoids.  Is that an indication that we may find arrowheads or other artifacts?  I remember these fossils being referred to as "Indian money" as a kid.  Is this true?

Comment

Don't know about that Liz, I just hunt for fun but do love it, takes up all my spare time except for wife -and- grand kids good hunting Joeroy! You keep hunting those creeks something good will come!

Comment

I've really been wanting to do some creek and river hunting.  seems like a great way to keep finding points when the fields aren't huntable.  unfortunately, I don't know much about creek hunting.  any info would be greatly appreciated.  thanks.  nice finds, by the way.

Comment

welcome to the forum from Ohio :welcome: I,m sure somebody here can give you some hints on creek hunting. I seem to only find hardstone artifacts in creeks but that,s ok I  love finding any thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X