Creek Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek Hunting

I almost feel stupid asking this, but I have decided to try my hand at creek hunting. I have never done it before, but I figured why not.
    It's a creek that runs parallel to where I have been finding really good points and I figured that there might be some good points in it. It was a creek that supplied water and fish to this ancient Cherokee town, so you think there might be something in it?
    How do you find stuff in a creek that's constantly moving? Has anyone ever found anything in a creek?
    I've got rubber boots, so going to wade in it tomorrow and try it.

The only time we have any luck creek hunting is in the spring after flood conditions after the water recedes. Look for points on the sides and next to the water edge. The high water will erode the sides away to expose them. My buddy found a nice little blade last year that was sticking out of an eroded outside turn. Gravel bars can be good too I guess but I have never found any on one. Mark.

Comment

Adam hunting a creek that has artifacts could change your attitude about point collecting. Hunting in creeks -and- rivers is so much different than hunting plowed fields or just areas for digging. With hunting waterways -and- gravel bars it can seem overwhelming. So much to look at, you either do a fast look for the obvious along the waters edge or try to walk in a way to cover all exposed rocks. Compared to my friends I hunt with I hunt very slow. I might spend 1 hour on a gravel bar others would walk in 5 min. If you have a creek to hunt, you can't go wrong unless nothing there to find. Won't know unless you try, good hunting!!

Comment

Adam, from my own experience I have never found anything in the water, or on a gravel bar, but no countless people that have made up 70% of their collections from just that venue of hunting. So needless to say they're out there its just your area of choice whether you find them or not.
          I haven't given up on Beech Creek as 75% of my collection is made up of lands running along Beech Creek here in Stark Co. Ohio. Bill

Comment

Adam, A friend of mine has had luck finding points in small creeks and sand bars along rivers. Monday Creek runs past my home, so the last 3 weeks I've been hunting it and have found several flint tools, a few blanks, one small point not hafted, and 2 nice hammerstones. I believe I'll find more, I hope! Every time it rains, and it don't take much, the sandbars are turned and eroded, and more flint appears. I make sure I hunt before the next rain, or it gets buried again! And as another guy mentioned, the sides of the creek banks will erode and expose flint also. So I believe in creek hunting! Good Luck. And I'd like to know it you find anything tomorrow!

Comment

My 10 year old likes creek-river hunting more than field hunting. Its more of an adventure to her! We found a spot last year were the river makes a sharp turn and were it was eroded away found a pudding stone almost the size of a football! She also found a whitetail shed with the base almost as big as my wrist! 1/4of it eaten away by mice or whatever but still huge. 1/2 mile is not a long walk for us....but 1/2 mile carrying a 15 lb. rock in one hand, antler shed and walking stick in the other and a fanny pack full of "cool rocks" walking over rocks and small boulders against the current IS!!!!(sure was fun though!)  Mark.

Comment

I have had all my luck in small upland sand bottom creeks, I haven found every time there is a bend and a sandbar on the inside corner this is where i look really hard, i may spend an hour also looking through it. You would be amazed that you can literally be standing over one and not see it. They have a good tendency of blending in with their surroundings. This is why most people do not have any luck in creeks..........Patience.

Comment

this is one I found undeerwater, its been about 50/50 on in or out of the water with the ones i have found. 

Comment

I even go sieving for them when the water is up too high to walk them. I just pick a sandbar and start scooping!  

Comment

Well I had no luck.  The creek was moving way too fast.  Knee deep in a fast flowing creek was not the time to find out your new boots had a hole in them.  My feet were soaked and because the water was so cold, went numb.
                    First and last day creek hunting.
                    Went to my usual hunting ground and pulled out an even smaller chert point.  This one is so small it can fit inside the face of a penny. 
                    I'll post pics later.

Comment

Ground is saturated this time of year, need to wait until the water recedes and the ground soaks some of it up. Can't even see the banks as Beech Creek has crested for the 2nd time in 3 days here in the Buckeye state. Once water recedes there will be sand bars with rocks on them to look at. We have had 4 inches of rain in the past 5 days on top of 9 inches of already laying snow. Will not be creek hunting for weeks here.

Comment

Having the kids along is priceless, took my 3 year old grandson last time I went creek searching and he had a field day sending leaves afloat down Beech Creek.

Comment

No doubt! 1,000,000 rocks. 1 flint chip! But worth the look!

Comment

Hey Paul glad to see a Buckeye brother on here!! I am from the NE corridor of our great state. Sure is easy to get the fever in Ohio!! We got some good stuff don't we?-Bill

Comment

That creek looks nice with the gravel bar. Does the water flow change, what I mean do the bars get bigger there when water is down? The creeks here change every year because of flash flooding. One of the best creeks we hunt here went from about that wide to 3x that this past year. Found nice stuff then but now water stops flowing before it gets to river nothing but sand. Can't wait for the first big rain to wash all that sand away. Good hunting Joe!

Comment

Working...
                              X