No announcement yet.

Creek Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam if your going to keep tring the creeks -and- rivers, invest in a good pair of hip or chest wadders I prefer the hip myself. You can get a good pair with 200 to 1000 thinsulate for less than $100.00. I got 200h thin. for spring and fall and 1'000 thin. for winter when really cold. Cold wet feet not good in winter, joe.

Comment

the pic was after a small shower last year early summer. I have found 5 nice poiints in this creek just last year, after every down pour, id go check the 3/4 mile stretch of it that has not been altered by a landowner. I start from near the end where it enters the Bonpal, (our big creek that takes all the water from the highland and dumps into the wabash.) and head upstream most all of every one comes in the first 4 or 5 turns of the creek. two littler feeders enter it just up from there and have had no luck up there. for our bigger creeks around here and hunting in them......there is no chance. there is way to much farmers run off of top soil to see anything but MUD! So where im from here in southeastern illinois, you have to find creeks that handle alot of water before they travel a great distance, or the accumulation of mud is just too much. Here is another picture of my favorites, I call this one fossil creek this is where the i found that fossil I have in my photos.

Comment

a little further down

Comment

Did you ever find anything around that overhang on the left Stillwell? I have heard of alot of people having good success finding artifacts where there is an overhang.

Comment

I myself have not yet but I scan those areas extra hard because i know they been found there> A real close friend of mine has found two like this the first was a 4" paleo drill, and the other is an awesome humpback adze

Comment

Well as promised here's what I pulled out of my usual hunting ground....

It's considerably smaller than the last point I posted.  However, on the base of this point there's a small hole or a really deep chip.  Plows are great for farmers, not so good for arrowheads LOL

Comment

Really nice looking creek mitchell, would love to hunt that one. Those washed out areas get my attention first -and- like Bill said that overhang too. Post some pics. know your going to find some.

Comment

Nice little point there Adam. So small makes you wonder why? Sure they had good reason. Nice find -and- good hunting Joe!

Comment

Yeah Hopefully maybe a clovis this year, there has been two found in this are in the last 5 years and they have been sweet little beauties! This creek is where Stillwellfromhell was discovered, an even smaller more rocky creek. In my opinion any creek is good if there is good rocky/sandy bars in it. 

Comment

That one looks great I could spend a whole afternoon there, thanks for sharing Mitchell. Bet you there is at least one nice point in that pic. probably more. Just got to put your eyes on them B)

Comment

Right on! :woohoo:

Comment

I have found most of my artifacts in a creek or a river. spend most of time doing this because of the scenery i spose. U have to take your time,and wait for the water to go down after a good rain.
                          I will post some of my creek finds. creek hunting can be very rewarding u never know what you will find.

you never know what you will FIND

Comment

in my two years of hunting i always go to creeks for my rocks i find. I have found about 200 in the the past two winters i go on a daily basic. the creeks around where i live produce great quanity of rocks just keep looking some days i find five then other days i dont find any

Comment

Nice finds Travis, that first and fifth pic. real heartbreakers. Gotta love that creek -and- river hunting joe!

Comment

Hey Charles good to hear from you. Have you done much hunting this year. This winter been rough on everybody. Good hunting Joe!

Comment

Working...
                                X