Bummed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummed

I think I am about to give up. I have been hunting for almost 2 years and am yet to find anything. I see some of you post pics of points you find laying on top of the soil in a field. I have spent countless hours crawling through fields......walking down creeks....and begging for permission to hunt. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have researched how to hunt and think I have good territory in which to hunt. Any tips would be much appreciated. I live in Central Ohio. (Urbana....near Zanesville, West Liberty, Springfield, etc. and have permission to hunt where I think some goodies should be....but....nothing.....please help.

Well, Ohio is full of artifacts, but....they couldn't be everywhere. If you've looked on the places you got permission, and you found any chips and flakes, but no points- give it some rain then go back. If you don't see any flakes at all, find more spots to look. Hunters need to be constantly finding more sites. Particularly look for small sandy rises in fields near fresh water. If you are talking to the farmer and he gives you permission to look, then ask him if he's ever seen any arrowheads on his place. He might point you right to the spot.
    Good luck- and be persistent.

Comment

It can definitely be very frustrating especially when you're starting out.  I hunted as a kid with my dad, and all those sites are now built upon or not plowed.  So, I'm getting back into it and looking for new sites as well - have to ask around a lot, and it's very time consuming.  When you ask permission, make sure you also ask if they know anyone else that would give them permission - I find that one good lead produces a few others and sooner or later you'll find a place that's productive - as the other guy said, look for flint chips.  If you're willing to travel 3 hours or so and camp, I can give you a site that you'll definitely find something.

Comment

I'm OK with traveling and camping....please send the info.  Thank you in advance for your advice and help.

Comment

Give me a call at 859-572-8733 and I can give you directions.

Comment

I was raised in central Ohio, grew up in Bellefontaine. If you know the Zanesfield area or the West Liberty area those are some good areas to seek out permission from the farmers. I had pretty good luck anywhere along Madriver.

Comment

When you say along Mad River....do you mean in the fields.....or on the bank....or actually in mad River?   I have permission for a long stretch of Mad River near West Liberty.

Comment

if the fields you have permission to hunt are along the river then look for high spots in the field or ridges that follow the course of the river.

Comment

Hang in there. I've been where you are and sometimes even go back into slumps. The desire for the hobby has to keep you going. When you finally find a perfect point or artifact or even a piece of one it will make it all that more enjoyable and rewarding.

Comment

Working...
                  X