Digs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digs

Hello all have another question, I m sure it won't be the last. Lol!
    My question is I've been watching videos posted and this question arose. On a dig how or what made the collectors decide to dig where they are? What turned them on to that particular site?
    Thanks again for any info. Trying to figure out the methods! : )
    :huh:

Tough question.  There are so many possibilities about how to proceed and what to look for. I say if you want to dig you should go on a professional dig first and see what it is all about. It is not just digging and screening. Get some training as to what to look for as far as signs of past occupations. Archaeological Societies are always looking for volunteer diggers and the are willing to train you.
    Good Luck Hoss
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Summer workshops at a prehistoric site are offered by the Center for American Archaeology in Kampsville, Illinois. Spring is also prime time for surface hunting fields after heavy rains. But I found this link because you're from Illinois and Matt made a good suggestion, IMO.

Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you both for your reply. I am glad to hear the suggestions that you guys are giving is the same path that I am pursuing. I am going to my first meeting is on the 16th for the Cahokia Archeological Society. It meets at the welcome center at Cahokia Mounds the third Thursday of every month. They are starting a dig at the beginning of June, on site.
        I'm pretty excited about it.

Comment

Digs are pretty interesting. I'll be attending my second this summer. It will be in the Indiana Dunes National Park. How do they determine where? From locals, historical accounts and preliminary field walks. Are the locations always spot on, nope! Sometimes you have to start over in another location. It's slow going, very methodical, everything of interest bagged and or tagged.
          Last year was an historical trading post, this year, Indian camps!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

CMD that link is awesome. They are only about 40 min. From me. I will def. have to check them out. There is alot of activity up in that area. I currently am talking to a couple friends of my father that have acres up in that area to be able to snoop around. Lol

Comment

Working...
            X