Artifact laws in So. Cal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact laws in So. Cal.

I have a fair amount of artifacts, Mostly grinding stones Pestals and a few other goodies.
    Nothing of real value but I really am proud to be a keeper of them.
    I never looked at it as if I own them. I share with people who show interest in the Native Americans that were here before our time.
    My question is in regard to the laws of possession. Most all of what I have was given to me by an older guy that gathered it back in the day. Some I found myself when he took me hunting around Lake Elsinore.
    Also as he taught me the best place to find artifacts is to go to old abandoned ranch or farm houses usually they had land, the people who had originally found stuff on their property would put it in the planters around their house.
    The thing is the plants grow over them, the people get old forget and sell their property move off and leave them behind.
    Am I in violation of any state or federal laws???
    Thanks for any advise, I realize it is advice and not legal consultation.
    Willy D.

Welcome Willy,
    There are a few California collectors here and hopefully one of them can help you out with your question. Do an internet search on laws regarding collecting artifacts in your state, get to the right place, you'll probably find the info.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I do not Ca. Law on artifacts but Greg is right. Check it out online. I do know your state has some of the most outrageous laws in the country. If they were found legally on private property there is should no problem with possessing them.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks Guy's
        I'll do some research and see what I can find.
        Soon I will post some pictures and see what you think.
        Thanks again,
        Dean.

Comment

Dean from Cal or Willy D from TX what ever your name is
          No guarantees the information provided at the link is up to date. That is the trouble with items like this found by google. The material sometimes become dated and is not brought up to date in a timely way!
          At leAst you have a starting point. Most people will type in Archaeology laws to try and search this . You get better results when typing Historic preservation laws and the state you are inquiring about or cultural preservation laws and the state.
          Good luck to you
              http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1077
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks Hoss,
            Or Moderator, What ever your name is.
            That is a very informative site and a lot to read but what I gather from it is as long as artifacts are found on private land there is nothing illegal about possessing them.
            After being told by visitors that having them in my yard could be illegal I was nervous about it.
            Also don't want things disappearing because I post too much info on public forums.
            Your input is much appreciated.
            Dean.

Comment

Working...
            X