pre- hunt rituals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre- hunt rituals

:welcome: its probably a personnal topic , but does anybody have a little something they always do before lookin for the day? i like to toss kinnikinnick ( indian tobacco mixed with certain barks,roots,e.t.c) to the four winds and ask the spirits of the place to grant me some of its items from the peoples of the past. sounds corny ,but it always seems to work for me! it would be cool if any would care to share their ritual ( for lack of a better term) such as a certain song they always listen to, or a certain hat or shirt , a lucky item you cant leave without, e.t.c
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Doesn't sound corny at all, I myself, have sprinkled a little tobacco as I approach my hunting grounds. I just wish I had some type of Native American saying to go with it.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

I bang rocks together. Yup its my rock call! Points would crawl right out of the ground and up my walking stick and jump into my pockets. Not but I do bang rocks together and call it my rock call. It usually will bring deer in too. as they get curious about who is making noise in their vicinity.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I perform a silent invocation of sorts. I address the people of all my spots: "People of...", etc., etc. I also address the spirits of old time hunters I have known, who helped me in their day and have passed on, and I address deceased family members. I ask for help from all. I tell the old timers they can look through my eyes if they wish, and join me on the hunt. That gives those guys an incentive :laugh:
        But I'm sincere. I put them all in my heart and mind, and then I walk.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Jumping Jax! Scares any Predators off!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Coffee :blink:  throne inch:  sausage biscuit ...
            Rick, East Central Missouri

Comment

My pre-hunt rituals kind of depend on how I'm doing over the last couple of hunts.
              Always: I pick up the first piece of flint/chert/pottery I find when walking, hold it in my hand and won't put it down until I find a keeper. 
              Used to: When I was younger I wouldn't drink water until I found something. That is a rather foolish ritual when you hunt in the desert at 100 degrees, but it seemed to work.  (It really did work though, your senses seem to sharpen up a bit when you are thirsty -and- hungry.)
              Occasionally:
              1.  A silly ritual that I do every once in a while is that I retire tools that don't perform or out perform.  If a shovel has a really bad hunt, it's likely to get planted by the side of a road where someone else will find it.  If a tool has had a long, productive and good life, I'll retire it to the garage for use on short hunts.
              2. If I am hunting with someone, I usually give them the first nice piece I find.  The good karma factor seems to help me out.  I've been known to break this rule when the first find is really, really nice, but then I usually give them something nice anyway.
              3. I hunt some tropical places in Latin America, and buying local kids ice cream or sodas brings all kinds of good karma.  Being nice to kids and old ladies never hurts.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

rixdafix wrote:

Coffee :blink:  throne inch:  sausage biscuit ...
                  This is pretty much my ritual too. I gave up handling a flake like Joshua, I was always going home with a cut on my thumb. Joshua, I do want to go hunting with you though. If you can't give me your first nice find at least you can buy me ice cream!
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I say a little prayer to my "red brother and sister spirits to start and thank them for each find regardless of condition as I hunt. Have had some phenomenal luck and my cousin recently confirmed our family has Micmac and Huron indian heritage through researching our family tree!

Comment

thanks for shareing everyone, now that i have all your secret rituals im gonna use em' all at once before evey hunt and HAVE ALL THE LUCK mwaahhhaahhaaahhaa :evil:

Comment

:laugh: just kiddin everyone, but seriously when it comes to luck , its the little things that matter the most . and for us spiritual types , the natives were a deeply spiritual people with strong connections to the land, and the places we find our relics at were obviously spots of theirs , so i beleave  prayers made to the spirits of these spots do catch their attention, if only long enough for a walk, and whenever i get that gut feeling ( or radar as charlie called it ) and i veer off course for a second and BOOM RIGHT THERE!! i attribute it to them and give an out loud thanks !

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

:laugh: just kiddin everyone, but seriously when it comes to luck , its the little things that matter the most . and for us spiritual types , the natives were a deeply spiritual people with strong connections to the land, and the places we find our relics at were obviously spots of theirs , so i beleave  prayers made to the spirits of these spots do catch their attention, if only long enough for a walk, and whenever i get that gut feeling ( or radar as charlie called it ) and i veer off course for a second and BOOM RIGHT THERE!! i attribute it to them and give an out loud thanks !
                          I agree OWTW. I have found thousands of artifacts over 30 years and each find brings a special feeling to this day. Every time I pick up something(nice or not) I feel the connection to the past.
                        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I like to leave home early in the morning and find a contemplative spot to burn a bit of the sweet grass. Before I hunt I make tobacco offerings to the spirits that have become one with the land. I'll become so focused that I can hear a leaf fall at fifty yards, and finding my rhythm: my eyes feel like lasers beams - there's nothing like a day in the countryside and good hunt!
                          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

There does seem to be that radar, and it can slip right by me because it's so subtle at times. On the other hand, one time in a corn field, a voice, out loud in my right ear, when there was nobody else near me, said "arrowhead!!!". Nothing subtle about that! Stunned, and long story short, I stooped down and picked up a big oak leaf laying at my feet to find a tiny quartzite true arrowhead(Madison or tiny Levanna)) underneath it, not visible to the eye. Now, that's the kind of radar I'd like to turn on at will! My partner has had equally overt experiences, having seen as clear as day a native brave on one occasion, standing just feet away and looking right at her before fading away, while hunting one of our sites.
                            Rhode Island

Comment

I giggle like a schoolgirl.
                              Like Joshua, I do find myself picking up the first "ugly" and keeping it until I can replace it without something better.
                              I keep telling myself that I'm not a very superstitious person. I guess everyone is to some degree though and here's something that happened a few years back.
                              I keep arrowheads everywhere, seriously. My truck and boat is usually loaded down with artifacts all over the place. I remember going hunting with Jerry Branstetter one time and as we were driving to the lake I noticed him reach over, grab a Dalton from my dash and pet it. I thought that was curious and asked him why he done it, he told me "for good luck". He then went on to tell me that every time he petted that Dalton on my dash he would find the most or best points. He beat me that day looking for points. Anyways, a few days later I went and picked up Jerry to go to the lake again. He looked at the Dalton on the dash and I said "You'd better not!". I turned my head to get a drink and caught him touching the Dalton with a quick swipe. I grabbed the cursed Dalton and threw it out the window. He still beat me that day.

Comment

Working...
                              X