New to the forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask some questions that may increase my hunting success. I live right outside of Gainesville Florida and I have private land that surrounds the Santa Fe Swamp. I have found about 5 whole arrowheads thus far and several scrapers and other chips. I have found them walking the roads and digging a few holes around where I have spotted some laying on the top of the surface.
    Is there anything I can do to increase my odds at finding more? When I started digging I found some broken pieces in the area but I only dug about 2 feet down. Should I start digging deeper? Should I try moving up to the higher areas and digging random holes to see if anything comes out? I have done copious amounts of research and the area I live has several sinkholes and other ancient streams. I know some are off limits but I have 800 acres that I can dig on so I any help would be very greatly appreciated. If anyone in the area would like to know any of the history of the local people of the Etoniah chain of lakes, feel free to ask away.
    I also was wondering if it would be worth going over the area with a metal detector? I cannot find a lot of information on the actual history of the Santa Fe Swamp area. I can find tons of information about the other areas around it but I cannot gain access to those legally. Thank  you again for help, tips or advice. I will post some pictures of my finds so far from the past couple months.

Hi Calvin,
       It sounds like you have a good start on exploring the land. First, if the land is yours, great, if not, get written permission. Second, it sounds as though you have identified some of the sites on the land. Dig test holes in those areas, and expand those out and down if you are finding material. If you find human remains, stop, cover up, and/or report it to the sheriff. You may want to run a metal detector over the site- you never know. In a flat place like most of Florida, the sites will most likely be on the highest spots and around them. We'd love to see your finds.
    Good luck hunting!

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I have not received written permission, only verbal. Here are some pictures of the bigger items I have found. I have tons of little chips and things. If anyone knows anything about these, please feel free to chime in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461 [replaced].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	215930

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois. Good advice from Cliff. Lets see what you have found.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Welcome from east Genesee :welcome:
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome.
            If Tom stops by, he will be of some help. Good luck, sounds like you got the bug!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

:welcome: from Southeast Louisiana

Comment

:welcome: from northwestern Missouri!

Comment

Thank you everyone. I definitely have the bug now. I spend pretty much all my free time trying to figure this thing out and learn as much of the history as possible along the way. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this forum. You guys all have a ton of knowledge.

Comment

Welcome from Tennesee.

Comment

:welcome: from RI.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Welcome from Oregon!
                        In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

FlHistoryGuy wrote:

Thank you for the advice. I have not received written permission, only verbal. Here are some pictures of the bigger items I have found. I have tons of little chips and things. If anyone knows anything about these, please feel free to chime in. 
                          You would be wise to get written permission.....Florida don't play.Florida is not collector friendly!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X