How far will points...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far will points...

...travel down a stream from where they get deposited?
    is it infinate?
    short lived?
    so many miles/feet?
    just curious, i dont have a clue.

Brett - I wouldn't want to say infinite because there are so many obstructions that points can get hung up on.  Usually you find them on sand bars or areas where the water rises and falls or turns.  The creek I search in is really rocky, actually I should say boulders, so a lot of them will be broken from the falls.  Then this creek feeds into a river which feeds into a really large lake.  Once they hit the lake I'd guess they settle on the bottem, depending on how hard/fast the river feeds. ---Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Posted on 06. Apr, 2009 by Big Ed in Archeological Excavations, Artifact Finds, Miscellaneous on Arrowheadology.
      Note: This is the first in a series of posts dedicated to helping both new and experienced arrowhead hunters get the most out of their hobby.
      There probably aren’t too many things that your average collector of arrowheads and Donald Trump have in common. However, both realize that success in their respective endeavors is all about finding the right location! As in real estate, location can make or break you when it comes to the business of collecting Indian artifacts.
      Lesson #1 for the junior arrowhead hunter is to take your time to research sites in your area that are favorable to finding arrowheads and other artifacts. You can ask people who know, research in your local library, consult an archaeological club/community (like arrowheadology.com) and turn to more advanced tools, such as topology maps and satellite imagery (we’ll cover these topics in future posts).
      Arrowheads and other Native American artifacts can be found throughout North America. All it takes to find them are a little knowledge, a keen sense of sight and a fair amount of patience. If you don’t possess patience, then looking for arrowheads may not be the right hobby for you.
      Arrowheads are not the only artifacts you might find. In one site you might also find spear heads, axe heads, pieces of broken pottery, drills, scrapers, bone tools and grinding stones or even tiny arrowheads called bird points. In more recent sites, you might also find trade beads or trade pipes. You will also find other collectors’ items that are not considered artifacts, such as glass, bottles, porcelain dolls, nails, coins, brass buttons, jewelry of hard and colorful stones, pipes, beads, ceramic ware with incised designs, musket balls, Civil war bullets, slugs and old homesite/settler items. Of course, you may also find fossils.
      How do you know where to find arrowheads and other Native American artifacts?
      The best places to hunt for arrowheads are the ones that have been dug up or naturally disturbed recently, for example plowed fields, construction sites and creek beds where arrowheads have been washed away from one area and deposited on another.
      An archeological site has been defined as ‘any area modified by ancient man’. Projectile points and other stone artifacts might be closer than you think. Typically, projectile points were lost near ancient campsites, caves, and kill and butchering sites.
      Arrowheads can be found in many places but it helps to do your homework. Here are the top 3 places to begin your location research:
        1.If there is a local archaeological club or a regional community, utilize their knowledge of the area and its history. They can help you locate areas where artifacts might be found and also help you identify any artifacts you find. They will undoubtedly already have excavations underway somewhere in the area that you wouldn’t otherwise have gained access to. However, if you join such a group excavation, we aware that anything you find might not be yours to keep, but could belong to the group. Don’t forget that clubs and communities also include the likes of dedicated internet sites like arrowheadology.com. These are some of the most friendly and experienced people around! But don’t expect them to just turn over their favorite dig sites to you, especially if you have never contributed to the community… but, at the very least, they will steer you in the right direction.
      2.You can also glean valuable information about an area by researching journals, old books and newspapers from the local library. It’s surprising how many historical documents contain detailed passages about discovering ancient campsites and relics. These records can sometimes point you in surprising directions. The steps here are simple: ask your local librarian for help with finding this type of historical information. They know their archives better than anyone and are often excited to help with such interesting requests.
      3.If you decide to go old-school and be the super-sleuth, talk to knowledgeable people to find information on the location of ancient sites. Landowners, farmers, ranchers, fence builders, loggers, etc. are all excellent resources to aid in locating ancient sites. To narrow your search, know the area in which you plan to hunt and make sure you have the permission of the landowner and respect the property. Some locations where hunters were once welcome are now closed because of a handful of irresponsible people who failed to get permission and didn’t take the necessary care.

Comment

To tell you the truth, No one knows how far points travel. Once there in a stream the location is gone. No one can prove where a point was loctated once it washes into a stream. So hard telling how far.

Comment

Since most are thin flat pieces I'd say the current picks them up easy.  Then you get a flood and uncovers them again for another traveling trip.  Endless I'd say.  It might take 100 years to go twenty feet but i say they are constantly moving in current.

Comment

just wondering, if they didnt travel all that far, i would go back and check for camp sites near the stream.  i figured they went with the current as long as they could.  didnt know if there was a pattern on their flow or not.
            thanks everybody

Comment

Working...
            X