What makes a good campsite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good campsite?

I thought it might be interesting for new hunters to get an idea of what a good campsite
    might look like. This could help them locate spots to hunt. I recently found this campsite
    situated in a coulee by a creek. Hope this might help some beginners.
    This first view comes from up above the campsite. The site is lower than this elevation, situated in the trees. This picture was taken this spring before the trees leafed out.
    You can see the flat area below.

The next couple of pictures are taken from right on the campsite, and show the creek, and also
    where a second creek joins.

The next photo is in the campsite this fall

The next photo is from the opposite side of the creek up on the bank. The site
    is down in the trees.

This site also has a spring that runs year around. This next photo tries to show the
    spring trickling down the bank. This runs right into the creek.

Some evidence of the site. I haven't found points yet. Just a couple of scrapers
    and some pottery.

An aspen growing in the spring.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for looking. Gary
    South Dakota

Great pics, text book camp, while hunting I always ask myself where would I camp. that looks like a great spot. Thanks for taking the time to document that info.

Comment

What makes a good camp? Arrowheads!!!

Comment

That is too cool. Thank you for sharing.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Gary, time periods and lifetsyle also determine ideal campsites ! In my area the campsites for the archaic hunter gatherers seem to be located on high points of ground with sandy soils perhaps to enable them to survey the terrain for game. The woodland sites, once they moved into a more agricultural society are located on flat areas in the river basins ! The one key between both cultures is access to a reliable water source !  Springs are a great resource, if you find one checck it closely !

Comment

Thanks for the replies. 
               Butch, I like to hear about other's campsites too.  Thanks for the info.   Jason had good info as well.  If we like the area,  other's probably did as well.   
            Gary
            South Dakota

Comment

Great shots Gary! That does look like a good spot. You can almost smell the campfire from here.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Nice looking site Gary. Will be looking forward some nice finds later. Still like the KRF you find. Keep on a Huntin.

Comment

Thanks Ray and Dan.  I thought about camping there sometime.  I bet it did smell good
                  with the campfires going.  Hope to find some points in the creek Dan.  The two scrapers were
                  in a cow trail.  They got it dug down and exposed the scrapers.  This site would have a good
                  supply of acorns in the fall.  I imagine they used them?
                  South Dakota

Comment

Great thing you did there Gary.  Water, water, water.  Anytime you have to bodies of water joining or a bend in a single body of water, you're gonna have a campsite on the high side, at least that is my experience around here.

Comment

Wish you could have found a SD point on your trip to SD Coach.
                      South Dakota

Comment

Yeah Gary, that would have been nice.  I wouldn't care to move out there.  Wife doesn't care for leaving Tennessee though.  I hope to get back someday.

Comment

Working...
                        X