Posting pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting pics

I have a problem. When I try and post an insitu, the computer says invalid file. When I try and post the very next picture of me holding the point, I can post. This happens everytime lately. It seems like when you try and take a picture from a few feet away, it wont work, but closeups do. I'm not changing anything on my camera. I can't understand what is different. Does anyone have an idea?
    South Dakota

Are the pictures of similar file size? This seems odd to me. Invalid may just mean the file size is too large.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

They are bigger, but why would they? Because there is more field of vision? The pic size is the same, but the bytes are different.
      South Dakota

Comment

I wish that I could help but I'm off for a 6 day road trip in the morning.
        By the way, was it the in-situ that I enlarged earlier?
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Gary, the in situs when I use my phone are always much bigger. Reduce their size and they should post.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I think you are confusing image size determined by “pixel count” and image size determined by “Megabytes”. They’re two different things, although indirectly related.

In simple terms, the number of Megabytes (or Kilobytes) is a measure of how much information is stored in the file. It depends on the subject matter of the picture, its colour depth and resolution.

By contrast, the number of pixels determines how that information will display on a screen or be generated by a printer and is determined by the settings on your camera.

Unless you are imposing your requirements by using full manual settings on the camera (phone cameras and most compacts don’t have this functionality), it will chose the settings that it thinks will give the best results for any particular set of circumstances. There’s no reason to suppose that the automatically chosen settings for a close-up picture (where the light level reaching the sensor is inevitably lower and the flash may/may not kick in) will be the same as those for “ordinary” pictures. Usually, the file size will be smaller for close-ups because each pixel contains less information.

Also, close-up pictures (so-called “macros”) can be produced in two different ways. On good cameras, they are produced by optical zooming (ie by the lens). On cheap cameras (and usually on phone cameras) they are produced by the software “enlarging” the pixels. So, two cameras claiming “15X zoom” may give you very different qualities (and file sizes by pixel or Megabyte), depending on whether the zooming is optical or digital. Some cameras use a combination of the two… they may have optical zoom up to 10X and then produce an additional 5X via the software digitally stretching the pixels for example.

Our forum has two different limits for pictures. The server on which our software runs imposes a file size limit of 2 Megabytes for individual pictures. Then, in addition, the forum software imposes a display size limit of 1440 x 900 pixels. The first limit is for economy of storage space on the server and the second limit is so that the picture displays at a convenient size on most screens. Although you can upload a 2 Megabyte picture to the server, the forum software has a built-in “resizer” and will attempt to resize pictures which exceed the 1440 x 900 pixel limits. It may struggle to do so if the picture is massively oversized or if you upload multiple large pictures in one go (or even if several members happen to be uploading at the same time). Usually, you’ll get an “Invalid File” error message and that means you will have to manually resize the picture. If you take it down to a maximum of 1400 pixels in the largest dimension, you shouldn’t have any problems.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

If it is a simple matter of resizing the picture before you upload I find this site very easy to use. http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
              Click on custom as shown here then click on best. And then simply follow the instructions. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	177
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	207008
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Thanks Roger and Bruce. I understand now why the insitus don't load. I'll have to try a smaller setting on my camera, or resize . Thanks Bruce for the help too. I've been trying to resize some pics, but didn't know how.
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X