Noob from South Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob from South Florida

Found my first arrowhead earlier this year and I'm interested in indulging this passion a bit more. It's something that's been on my bucket list since I was a kid--was probably a plastic pail list way back then. Hoping to travel to somewhere in the U.S. where I can go hunt for arrowheads and I'm hoping to use the forum to identify the solitary point that I have and dig up some leads for where to go to build a small collection. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and looking for arrowheads would provide a good focus for some adventures.
      Ken

Welcome from Central Illinois :welcome:
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks. A Chicago native myself who studied at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Had I realized that the plowed fields en route to UIUC and all around the south side of campus, I'd likely have spent too much time walking the fields studying the ground looking for points instead of studying my textbooks (probably just as well in the long run).
        Ken

Comment

Welcome from the county south of you.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Welcome Ken!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

:welcome: from Rhode Island, Ken.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Ken, put your Shell Goggles on! (Y)
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Given that the one point that I've found seems to be made from fossil coral maybe I'll have to snorkel to find more. :lol:
                  Thanks for all the welcomes.

Comment

Welcome to AH.com :welcome:
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Did you say fossil coral? I really like fossil coral stuff.
                    Welcome from Texas.
                    Lets see that coral booger....
                    Jess B.
                    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                    Circa:1982

Comment

Bone2stone wrote:

Did you say fossil coral? I really like fossil coral stuff.
                      Welcome from Texas.
                      Lets see that coral booger....
                      Jess B.
                        Well, here it is--but hands-off Gollum (it's my Precious now).
                      FL: identification Help
                      I've tried to photograph it so the striations from the corallite structure are visible. This is my best effort--you can see the lines running diagonally through the piece and you can make out a bit of the radial pattern of the septa in an area just below the tip.
                      One of my many hobbies is doing coral reef surveys so I'm kinda chuffed that my one and only point to date is made of fossilized coral.

Ken

Comment

very nice looking material Ken welcome to the addiction!
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

Ken,
                          Welcome from southern Ontario.
                          You have found the right place to indulge that new found passion. The folks here are more than helpful and very knowledgeable.
                          That is an amazing raw material. I've now decided I require a coral point. Would it be possible to post a couple of more photos of the whole point?
                          Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hi-Lo wrote:

Ken,
                            Would it be possible to post a couple of more photos of the whole point?
                              Did you notice the link in my above post? It links to a topic showing both faces of the entire point (with scale). I need to invest in a decent macro lens for my big DSLR camera as I'm taking all my macro shots these days with an inexpensive point-and-shoot. Let me know if you'd like to see any other/different images of this little point.
                            I'm pretty happy that my one and only point is at least made out of a less common material. As my first point it will always have a place of honor in my collection though I need to start a collection so that it is not lonely. Points seem rather difficult to come by in Florida (not for lack of abundance but for a lack of information/connections on where to hunt in permissioned private property). I'm hoping to learn on this forum good places where I may kick-start this addition and acquire a few more points at a pay dig site (seems easiest for a noob like me). Looking for any recommendations anywhere in the lower 48.
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X