Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also New From Florida!!

Hi Everyone,
    I am brand new in the field of artifact hunting. I have found two arrowheads so far, I will be taking pictures of them to see what everyone thinks of them, I am not sure as to their identity. I have also found what I think might be a scrapper, but it might also be nothing.
    I still dont know of any places I can really go where I live, Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida, I found the one arrowhead in a construction site, one security guard said I was fine being there, next day another said no go, so that place is shut off to me now. The first arrowhead i found was years ago while I was a boy scout camping out at Camp Shands in Melrose, Florida.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about where is safe, and legal for me to be looking? Anyway this has turned from me introducing myself into question asking which i should probably do somewhere else on the forum.
    Anyway, hoping to make some friends!
    Doug Holland

Doug, you live in a World-Class artifact area.  You just have to look everywhere you can, especially around wet or what was wet areas, and good hunting areas.  I'd bet you've seen digger's holes and wondered what they were....!?
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome to the site Mr. Holland, I myself have only recently started arrowhead hunting but have found nothing but a few wicked sunburns so far.  The water level here in north Mississippi is still to high for much of anything but I still go out every so often when work/school/life permits
      Also, the Florida Indian burial laws  can be found here but im not sure of how updated that is...ill have to add updating all the burial laws to my "todo" list
      Again welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy your stay
      Andrew Schwinn
      Arrowheads.com
      andrew@arrowheads.com

Comment

Thanks for the welcome to the site!  I have found a couple pieces which I still haven't gotten around to taking pictures of and posting to see what everyone thinks.
        I have recently wondered about the digging holes.  My question about them is how do I know that a particular spot is a good place to start digging?  Do I just find a spot near water close my eyes point and then dig in that spot?, of course not on private or state land.
        There is a large creek that runs through Gainesville too called Hogtown Creek I have several friends that live on it plus there are several public places where people look for sharks teeth and whatnot.  I still dont know what I am looking for in creeks, so havent found anything quite yet there.
          Well thanks again for the welcome!
        Doug

Comment

Hi Doug,Welcome!I use to live in Florida.They have changed the laws in recent years so google the laws on surface hunting-diveing,I know they frown on even scuba diveing for them,Thats where the ol boys for years have been getting the good relics.I can tell you watch for SNAKES!!!look around for old shell mound heeps along creeks and river ways.

Comment

You really do need to check the laws on artifact hunting in Florida.  They are pretty tough, (you are only permitted to dig or hunt on private land, with permission from the landowner).  Also, digging in shell mounds is definitely illegal.  I am not sure what the penalties are exactly, but they are being enforced.

Comment

Doug - Welcome aboard AH.com.  You'll find lots of education and assistance on this site.  As a Tenn transplant from Florida - I'll tell ya to be very careful where and how you hunt for artifacts.  Fla is one of the few states that I know of that actively goes on the hunt for illegal artifact collectors.  Check your state laws and, as has already been said, make sure you have the landowners permission to hunt artifacts.  I found lots of artifacts when I was a cemetery caretaker but they were turned over to the City for a mini museum.  Best of luck to ya and share your find with us.  :cheer: ---Chuck
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Glad to have you Doug, look forward to seeing some of those Florida relics. I live in NE Ohio and am blessed with some pretty sweet hunting grounds, including right here where I live on the farm! (Used to be a campsite) Hang out and you will get some guidance from folks in your area I am certain. Along waterways (ancient that is) are pretty much universal no matter where you live I think. Welcome again-William

Comment

Doug, A big Welcome and Hi coming your way from me here in Kentucky!
                  Well...I can only say if you've found 2 points and a possible scraper...your hooked for life my friend!
                  You've certainly at the right place to learn about the artifacts you've found...there is so much information here at your fingertips and collectors with so much knowledge who are willing to help and give their input. Unfortunately I am not in their league... but have learned much from them and consider them all to be very close friends who are always willing to help. I know they will help you just as they have me.
                  So once again let me say a big WELCOME and that we all look forward to seeing what you  find.
                  jane

Comment

Hi Doug from Michigan. Two points and a scrapper is a good decade up here! :S

Comment

Doug welcome to the forum, if you like artifacts you will like this site and the people on here. They tell you like it is, so don't get offended. Welcome Joe!

Comment

Hi Doug.. Hope all is well. My names Keith and I live in the greater Lake City area.. not far from you. Been collecting and hunting artifacts for about 15 years now... In Illinois where I grew up, and in Colorado where I lived quite awhile and now for going on 5 years here in Florida..In the last  5 years now, my wife and I have found well over 500 spearheads here.. not to mention 2 or 3.. maybe 4 or 5 gallon buckets FULL of pottery.. Lots in the area here.. Most of our finds are upland, but we have also within the past couple of years found some beautiful stuff on the rivers here.
                        Best of luck to you!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X