New from eastern PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from eastern PA

Hello everyone! My 5 year old son and I love to hunt fossils together and I've always been interested in finding some artifacts as well. My son loves fossil hunting and keeps saying he hopes to come across an artifact as well. We are located in eastern PA, there should be some things laying around! I'd be curious in knowing if anyone else is close to us that could possibly give a few tips on places or tips on hunting in general. Thanks! Happy hunting!

Welcome to our forum. I'm very partial to fossils as well, and we have a section to post you and your son's finds. We have members from the Northeast, including Pa.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Hallooo and welcome from upstate, NY! I grew up in western PA, near Butler. I used to find great crinoid fossils in the limestone gravel in parking lots (especially after a good rain). I'm not too familiar with your area, but I'm sure you can find artifacts there. Look in cultivated fields along creeks and rivers... usually above the flood plain, on a bit of high ground. Imagine you are looking for a good place to set up a camp and you'll probably find artifacts in that spot.

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Welcome PaJim! Driftwood gave you some good advice and there is actually a section in our information area to help newbies find artifacts.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Connecticut PaJim. You love in an area that my favorite Lithic os from....Jasper is known to be anciently quarried in SE Pa...... Follow the above advice from Driftwood and that should serve you well.....good luck to you and your son, post some pics when you find one!
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome! I have to admit I'm pretty green in the "finding things" hobby. We just started fossil hunting this summer. Eastern PA is probably much like western PA in terms of what we find. Mostly Devonian aged sea life. Lots of crinoids, shells of whatever sort, we have pulled a few trilobite partials, and we head out to Big Brook NJ to sift those creeks for teeth. An arrowhead was just found there last weekend during a group hunt. I'm close to Easton PA, have a few creeks that run through the area that I want to get into, will have to take a look at the lay of the land to spot some potential areas. I know the natives were present in my area since some of the old original buildings in town have tunnels underneath in case of raids. We also have an "Indian Tower", which is commonly thought to have been a look out for Indian raids, but was actually named after the burial ground that it overlooks. I've also been reading up on the Moravian church history with the local Natives in my town, so I know there is stuff around. If I ever find anything I'll be sure to post it, but for now, I'll waste way too much time reading and looking through the posts. Happy hunting!

Comment

Welcome from Tennessea.

Comment

PaJim, although there were natives living in your area when Penn and settlers arrived, most of what you will find will be thousands of years older then the historic tribes you're thinking of. Cultivated fields, with owner permission, and only after heavy rains have washed the field. And it should be near a source of fresh water. Those are the ingredients and you will find artifacts.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Your in very good arrowhead hunting territory. Many arrowheads have been found along the banks of the Delaware River. There is also a well known and significant paleo indian site called the Plenge site along the Muscanetcong River. Indians have been living and hunting in the area for 10,000 years. A little internet searching should direct you to areas where indians camped and hunted. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome from central Texas, happy hunting!

Comment

Welcome from the great white north. Great group of people here my friend.
                        Ask your questions, post your finds, sit back relax and enjoy.
                        Bruce
                        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Welcome to our site. Sorry I can't help you with your search
                          South Dakota

Comment

Did some more digging on google. I think I'll take my son to Vera Cruz to search around the old Jasper mines and head a bit east to check out the Muscanetcong River. We'll see what happens!

Comment

Welcome from Ulster county, NY.. You could take a ride on rt 209 towards Port Jervis NY. I have a few hunting buddies that tell me about all the good hunting fields out that way..I would wait till spring or late fall.. Good luck.
                              My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

Working...
                              X