Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsidian(?)Artifact found in North Florida.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsidian(?)Artifact found in North Florida.

Hi-newbie here. Thanks for the add!
    I've been a novice hunter most my life-but my interest peaked while living on Rez in Cherokee,NC years ago.
    I've been an avid shell collector having grown up on beaches of N.Florida.-I often run across artifacts in my searches.
    I have some spectacular finds especially around the Bay Area.
    My mothers home is a Victorian Antebellum in the Historical District of Apalachicola,Florida.
    The house is just across from Apalachicola Bay & sits on a very high hill-I was always told was a burial mound. The area is known for its rich ancient tribal history.
    I'm planning to learn more on this.
    Chert was the most common material used.
    This was found in alley of her home.
    It appears to be dark green obsidian.
    Last edited by Gypsea; 07-09-2017, 01:42 AM.

Welcome Gypsea, I've never heard of obsidian in Florida. Did you personally find this item?
    Looking forward to seeing more of your spectacular finds!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Redviking
      Redviking commented
      Editing a comment
      As kid in Florida in the late 60’s I found a Obsidian Large Arrowhead on the Wekiwa River. True fact.

Yes I did. Thanks! Post my other finds soon!

Comment

Welcome to the site!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from NC!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com That piece was probably carried there from elsewhere. Here is a link to a source catalog of Obsidian in the US http://www.sourcecatalog.com/. There are ways to test Obsidian and find out exactly what source it came from. Not sure how much that procedure costs to do. It is very unlikely that piece of obsidian was used by Native Americans in Florida.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Great link, I had no idea . I always think west if the Rockies Hoss .

Welcome
          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
          X