Fellow East Tennessee hunter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow East Tennessee hunter.

Hey guys, this is Bryan from East Tennessee (strawberry plains) I joined this forum several years ago when I was a artifact newbie. I am more of a listener than a talker when it comes to being online, so I really never posted,just read. My knowledge of artifacts and hunting them has grown so much over the years. Along with my knowledge, my passion continues to grow as well. Over the years i have read many books and learned from my own personal finds. I now make and sell reproduction artifacts (to be used for educational purposes) Anyways...my wife and son are probably over hearing about a hafted this,or hafted that and i personally don't know anyone else with this passion, or nerd hobby as my wife says. I just thought I would officially introduce myself to the forum and potentially find a local hunting buddy. I'm used to hunting alone, but every now and then you want to share the passion.

Welcome Bryan from Oak Ridge here! Glad to see some Tenesseans piling in here. We have several knappers on this site including myself. No need to hang in the shadows any longer, we would enjoy having you share your knowledge, artifacts found and modern replicas here.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not know you were an Oak Ridge boy..(ooompapamawmaw). I've got a lot of family up there. Beautiful country.

Welcome Carbon21 Another Tennessean good deal. I'm new but I'll give you the welcome

Comment

Josh, you might think knapper, but I actually don't do knapping. I specialize in stone work (Axes,Celts,adze,hoes and morter/pestle) I also try to reproduce the hafting techniques used in ancient indian times for the stone items I make. I try to make them look realistically ancient,not a modern form. It's difficult for children and many adults to picture how just a stone item was used as a tool,until they could see how it might of looked in its entire hafted form. Here's examples:

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        WOW.
        I see an awful lot of questions coming your way in the future.
        Welcome to the forum Bryan.

Welcome from NWArkansas !!! Very impressed !!
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Wow that's awesome! Do you use ancient techniques to work the stone? Those are very realistic looking. Looks like experimental archaeology to me!

One concern that comes to mind is are you doing anything like scribing your work to make sure they are not eventually being pedaled as authentic? That's a pretty bad problem these days. Not at all saying you would sell like that, but who knows what the next guy may do?
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Josh, your right about the pedaling issues. No, I don't identify the individual pieces,so there is the possibility of pedaling. Everything Ive sold is listed as a handmade reproduction. I'm big on educating,so my intentions are for use in schools or other learning institutions. Unfortunately almost anything can be pedaled,scribed or not. I hate to supply the market,though.
          To answer your question about technique. I broke my leg a couple of years ago(six months no work) had nothing but time....hand pecked and polished 3 different style axes.....countless hours of pecking until my elbow said no more. I now know what they went through. A couple of weeks to make 1. Anyways, I now use diamond blades and diamond polishers to get the job done. (But I still give them a hand pecked surface)

Comment

Hey neighbor I am in Sevier county welcome to the forum
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for coming out of the shadows, so to speak, & finally join the dedicated & the fanatics! And welcome from SE VA, your eastern neighbor.
              Child of the tides

Comment

I think that's an awesome way to educate, hafting methods and uses of various artifacts is a topic that we could stand to learn more about. I've dabbled with shaping stones like cannel coal and steatite for pendants and bannersones but that's a small task compared to pecking out grooved axes. Lol I have tons of questions for ya! Looking forward to your post!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Welcome Bryan.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome Bryan
                    South Dakota

Comment

Welcome from Fentress Co.

Comment

Great gooobly moogly!!!!
                        rhata some impressive stone work!
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome Aboard Bryan - from another Tennessean in Pickett County. Really impressive work you do. I admire all the knappers and now I'll have another replicator to watch and learn from. I just hunt for the ones that were made that are older than me : )
                          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                          X