collecting since I was about 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collecting since I was about 10

When I was a kid, my grandfather's farm was next door. There was a vein of flint that native Americans might have used for thousands of years. I live in an area that has a rich history of ancient culture. This is my first post. Let me see if I can add some pictures. My next door neighbor made that carving. That made me decide to put my collection together. The "kid's collection shows arrowheads, a knife, a scrapper, a drill and a punch. On the left side, the rock is from the vein. There are a wide range of styles and materials on the right hand side. I've always thought that that was evidence that the area was used by a lot of people for a long time. The dagger is from the same field. I don't know where he got the iron but somebody hammered it into a dagger that perfectly fits your hand. When I moved to my new home about 30 years ago, I was digging a hole for a mailbox post. The pick hit something very hard so I got on my knees and starting digging with my hands and found that beautiful hoe. More recently I was looking around a farmers field and found that perfect triangle. What do you guys think? Any idea where the arrowheads in the collection came from?

The picture of the carving came out too dark. We'll try this one.

Comment

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Much better, thank you.

Welcome to the forum Den. Thank you for adding the second picture of that carving.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Isn't it amazing? My neighbor is very talented. The carving seems to send a message to you. I show it to everybody who visits. One woman stood there with her mouth hanging open. Every once in a while, she would reach out and touch the nose, lips or mouth.
      And thank you for the welcome.
      BTW I was at a local museum and saw a hoe like mine. They had attached a handle to show how it was used. When I got home, I went to the woods and found that branch that made a perfect handle.

Comment

And isn't that variety on the right side of my board look amazing? I was 16 when I cut that piece of oak and mounted the artifacts.

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com Den I am going to move this topic into the welcome to the forum section. That carving is very cool and your displays are very nice.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I'd like to make the picture of the carving in my profile. I can't seem to see how it's done. Can you offer any advice?

Comment

There is a tutorial at this link. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...ng-your-avatar

If you still have trouble then send me a Private message. Click on my profile avatar and you will see on the next page an option to send me a PM.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Cool! Thank you.

Comment

I'm most curious about the dagger. I wish you could hold it in your hand.

Comment

Welcome From east Tn Den!

I'm curious about the metal item too. We need some better pics though in natural lighting preferably. Beautiful carving! Thanks for sharing!
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I'll try to get some better pictures of the dagger tomorrow. All I can say is that there is a grip for your that fists perfectly in your hand. What extends is a deadly looking blade.

Comment

Welcome to The Forum Den and The decorating Pic's look Great!
                        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Hi Den welcome from North Carolina I really like the carving and wood display.
                          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Thank you all for the welcome. I like this forum. It is easy to use and I love all of the stuff about artifacts.

Comment

Working...
                            X