New member from Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Maryland

Hello, I'm not new to the outdoors, but new to searching for artifacts. I guess I caught the bug a few weeks ago when I found an exposed point (i believe Susquehanna Broadspear point) literally in the middle of hillside path while hiking a trail in an area I've hiked and biked for almost 20 years. I know that Maryland was once inhabited by Indians for over 10,000 years, and in almost all regions of the state. In my local area it seems most points were made from quartz and rhyolite material, and often do not look like the points being found in other areas of the country, in that they are much harder to discern from other stones/cobble due to the shapes not usually being as defined, based onwhat I've found and what I've researched. If anyone in my area has any advice I'd greatly appreciate how to maximize times spent hunting for artifacts. I have had success finding stone tool artifacts, probabaly due to the fact they area MUCH larger and easier to spy than the type of points in the area. Here's what I've found in the last few weeks.All in the Patapsco River watershed. Various creeks and gravel beds.

Welcome Aboard dmac. You're in the right place to share and learn about Native American artifacts. I like the point in your 2nd pic. It may well be a Susquehanna I'll leave IDing to collectors in your area. Some advice - when you're posting pics, especially if you want help identifying, post both side of the artifact. When I looked at what you've posted, I couldn't tell if any of the items (except pic #2) were man-made. The 5th pic may have been shaped by man but I can't tell from your photo. You did include a quarter for sizing which is an excellent idea. Looking forward to seeing more of what you find and it sounds like you're spending a lot of time in the right area. Glad to have ya aboard.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

first off,welcome to AH.com

the second photo is definitely a point(not sure of type) but if i had to guess i would go with a kanawha
      the third one i would like to see more photos of

the rest look natural to me

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I'll post more pics. Here is a link of a site that has good photos of points found in Maryland.
        As you will see, at least according to the hundreds pictured in the site- it seems points found in this area seem to be worn and not nearly as distinct as what I'm seeing others find in different parts of the country. Trying to find a point like in my second picture in a gravel bed is literally a needle in a haystack, as the edges are often so worn and rounded- makes it tough. So far this is the only one I've found after days upon days of hunting that I'm positive about....and as I've said that find was accidental! #3 Looks like and fits the descripton of Rossville early woodland found in Maryland, and I did find it in the same general location as #2. Unfortunately for me it seems most finds here are very crude or very worn, and often to the point where they look like they might be natural stones.... which makes them really hard to spot.
        https://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/ProjectilePoints/index-projectilepoints.html

Comment

Welcome to the site. Looks like you are definitely into doing your homework! Good job.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com Not a Susquehanna in my honest opinion. It does have some damage to the base which would make it difficult to type.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome to the site Dmac
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm trying not to get frustrated, knowing that indians inhabited large parts of Maryland but I cant find a point to save my life haha! I've been trying walking gravel beds, bends in streams and the exposed cut banks for hours upon hours in areas that are in the vicinity of an archeology dig site that uncovered a large amount of items in 1978-88... The area is now a commercial technology park but the rivers and creeks are still untouched and have a good amount of forest buffering them.... I'm considering doing some sifting in a spot...but honestly I dont know what my local lithic debris would look like. I dont think the indians in my area used flint, so that iconic looking knapped stone is very rare in this area or at least pieces still holding those edges. BTW I forgot to mention the stone with the hole in it has swirl marks or abrasion marks going around the top and lip of the hole, as if one was turning a stick inside it (Fire starter stone?) makingme believe it's man made. That item was also found next to the grooved stone, which when held in your left hand fits and conforms to your hand as if its been used and worn into the palm. As you wrap your fingers on the other side there are 4 slight indentations exactly where you would be pressing your fingers holding it tightly to grind somthing...and the other small odd rectangular sandstone item with a hump was also within several yards of these two items, and I have seen others with similar items say it is an indian nail file or grinder of some sort. I dont know. I apologize for so much to say in one post. Thanks again-
                Last edited by dmac3629; 09-23-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

#2 Susquehanna bifurcated?

Comment

Welcome to The Forum. Those 2 material's You mention I hear are some of the hardest to work/knap.
                    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Hi DMAC!
                      Professor Shellman
                      Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I would also lean toward Kanawha for the quartz point in your second photo. Here are examples from the Maryland typology site you are using:

Yes, there is damage to the base, but, IMHO, I don't feel the damage is so severe to not allow recognition of the point as a Kanawha. Two small lobes and a slight bifurcation is what I am seeing there, and Kanawha seems right. Just an opinion of course. I do believe it is the only actual artifact in the photos you are showing.
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Welcome from east Tn!

I think Charlie (CMD) ^offers some good advice here.
                          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Welcome from SE VA. Our regions overlap in that many of the points we find are water worn quartz & quartzite. A devil to knap but tend to quite worn by the time we find them. I'm a beach Hunter along the Bay.
                            Once you've surfed the forum awhile you'll learn 2 things: 1) you often find artifacts when you least expect it & arent trying so hard, and 2) we all hit a dry spell-- some longer than others!
                            Good luck & don't get discouraged!
                            Child of the tides

Comment

• dmac3629
                              dmac3629 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks! I do live near plenty of coastline which was inahbited by indians....but Maryland is also very overdeveloped. Maybe Maryland's Eastern Shore would be better....do you just walk the beaches or look for anything in particular?

Welcome to ah.com I would lean towards what sneaky and CMD said both are in your area.
                            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                            X