No announcement yet.

Hello from Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you mean the one with the barbs pointing upwards next to the center point? I can take some closer pictures but can't post them til next week.

As far as my favorites, I really like the uniface scrapers (I think they are Clear Fork Gouges). There are a lot on our ranch and we used to throw them away not realizing that they were artifacts. Rookie mistakes. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_234723.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	266469Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_234723.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	266470

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro355 View Post
      In that first frame, the center point being the pivot of the clock, the small white one at 8 o'clock ...very odd shaped and unique...do you have any individual pictures of that? I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it...

Wow u read my mind !!!
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great minds....đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Welcome from East Texas...great collection!

Comment

Ok guys, here is the point you were interested in closer pics...I also included a crazy little one that wanted an opinion on. I sent pics to a paleontologist at Texas A & M and he said it may have been a Clovis child's toy point? Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_194808.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	266821Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_194709.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	266822Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_194910.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	266823

Comment

• TJdave
          TJdave commented
          Editing a comment
          I find this absolutely amazing. I have always been interested in Clovis (and pre clovis) and have never subscribed to the "big game hunter" moniker given to them. I would never have considered that little white point a Clovis, but it makes much more sense to me now. I make tools and things as a hobby. I make them the way I imagine how they were made by the original users. Each point I make is generally specific use. With no prior knowledge I made some points that look very much like this little white one (my workmanship is not near as good). What I found they are very good at, frogs. With a little sapling bow (I believe Clovis had little light bows) it will pin a frog to the mud a couple inches deep. Im from Texas too, just a lot east of you
          Last edited by TJdave; 10-02-2017, 02:41 PM. Reason: Added where I'm from

The base of the white point was broken and it's hard to tell if it had a stem at some point or not.

Comment

I think it is a small game point, maybe used for jackrabbits and such, to keep it from completely blowing through the animal and allowing it to run off. A point like that would knock a small animal off it's feet. Same with a bird, and it would keep the arrow from continueing on into oblivion and never being found. As a bow hunter, I love the idea.

i don't know if that's what it is, but in my mind, that's what I would use it for.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

And that tiny Clovis is superb!!!
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome LuAnn
              South Dakota

Comment

I agree that its purpose is obviously to slow or stop the forward movement from going straight through the prey. Unless we are looking at it all wrong and it is a very long base and the broken end is the tip, but I think the proportions are all wrong for it. I'm a hunter too, and I like to evaluate these tools from my personal experience and imagine what I would have done differently. I have noticed that some of the points I have seemed to be planed on either side to spiral when shot or thrown. Is that common?

Comment

A Clovis barely bigger than a dime. That is a cool find!
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Lucifer
                    Lucifer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I couldn't even believe it was real it was so tiny!

Way out of my area but I think the first point is the broken base of a Ashley or similar style point. Check this link out. http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Ashley.html

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer View Post
                    I agree that its purpose is obviously to slow or stop the forward movement from going straight through the prey. Unless we are looking at it all wrong and it is a very long base and the broken end is the tip, but I think the proportions are all wrong for it. I'm a hunter too, and I like to evaluate these tools from my personal experience and imagine what I would have done differently. I have noticed that some of the points I have seemed to be planed on either side to spiral when shot or thrown. Is that common?
                    Reworked points "while still on the shaft" will cause what appears like a spiral "twister point".
                    Broken when in use, in-the-hunt, laying it flat down and work the edges till a fashioned re- point ready for use.
                    If broken too far, such as the Perdiz (the small white one with the long shank and tip gone) it would be removed from shaft disposed of and replaced.
                    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                    Circa:1982

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer View Post
                      Ok guys, here is the point you were interested in closer pics...I also included a crazy little one that wanted an opinion on. I sent pics to a paleontologist at Texas A & M and he said it may have been a Clovis child's toy point? Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_194808.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	266821Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_194709.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	266822Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_194910.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	266823
                      Welcome from Rhode Island. Miniature Clovis and other fluted points are known, and It's more likely to be functional, for use on smaller game, rather then a child's toy. JMHO.....
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Lucifer welcome ... what a great collection . Yeah what Jethro said what is that white colored point at 8 o’clock .
                        It’s a wonderful hobby and I look forward to seeing your future finds ..
                        live in Hawaii but hunt and have a cabin in S Georgia .

Comment

Working...
                        X