First time posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time posting

I am very new to this sort of thing and over this weekend I found this arrowhead in south Georgia (almost Florida) at property where I hunt. I was wondering what type of arrowhead it is or any information that anyone may have. I really appreciate any feedback! It measures 2 13/16 inches
    Last edited by Deerhunter; 11-12-2017, 06:16 PM.

Welcome from east Tn!

Cool find Deerhunter! Someone from your area will be along and give you an idea soon. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Very nice find. Looks like a knife to me. Pretty large for an arrowhead. Thanks for sharing and welcome
      South Dakota

Comment

first off,welcome to AH.com

secondly. thats a nice point youve found there
        i would call it an Abbey

heres a link to a reference on them
        checkout the one on the top row,far right
        looks nearly identical to yours

Comment

We have a point called The South Prong Creek that is similar to the Abbey point but the serrations like yours go to about 3/8" from point of point then end up in a non serrated point. Check if there is a South Prong Creek on projectile point . net
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Deerhunter
            Deerhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            yes you are spot on about the serrations. Thank you

Thank you for the help. I found the same website you put a link to. My wife thought it was a Levy. My first time to find any think of the sort. I also found 2 almost lava looking rocks that had holes drilled in them or at lest thats what it seems like(what could those be). Pretty exciting for a guy that was planting food plots for deer lol. How do you really know what these are at the end of the day?

Comment

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            Post photo of rocks with holes, we have some that are drilled but they are cooking stones made of soapstone, and others that are drilled with smaller holes that are gorgets.

Welcome Aboard DH. That's a really nice point but it is a rather large size for an arrowhead. I'm sure someone more familiar with your area will have some answers.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Will the holes are from pin size to pencil size. I don't have pics and the rocks are in my camper. They have very ruff texture and look sort of like lava rock as far as the jagged appearance.

Comment

Welcome to the forum DH.
              As has already been mentioned that is a knife blade and not an arrowhead.
              Could you imagine the size of the bow that would be required to launch something that big.
              On the lighter side that salty treat looks quite fresh for being found with something 4 to 5 thousand years old.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Even though it's too large for an arrowhead, it's no big deal calling it by that name. Most non collectors think of it that way, and most collectors call them "points", which after all, is short for "projectile point". Even though, past a certain size, most points were used as knives. It's a beauty by any name! Thanks for sharing.
                Rhode Island

Comment

LOL! yeah thats a pretty impressive pretzel! How often do you guys find things in good shape like this? I talked to some of the more local hunters and they said the area is know for artifacts and they are found often. There is a local man that is known for trespassing to dig for arrowheads/points . Which i found out is illegal -the digging part. I knew there were a lot of truffle hunters in the area but not things like this. Pretty cool looks like I just found a new thing to do when the deer aren't on the move...
                  Last edited by Deerhunter; 11-13-2017, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Welcome to Arrowheads.com
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That looks Kirk all day long...... I dunno. Lumper. Type sure looks like a Six Mile Creek point. That seems ridiculous. Kirk cluster. Early, maybe some Middle Archaic? Found with Morrows.. Can you take some good pics of the serrations? On one side? Alternate? That is a durn schwweeeet point!
                      Professor Shellman
                      Tampa Bay

Comment

Hellooooo! You will look down forever now

Comment

Tom thank you I will take more pics when I get back home. Just found some new points today. I’m very excited about the second time I have gone out and found a couple more this is a very neat thing to do

Comment

Working...
                          X