Hello from Blount County Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Blount County Alabama

Hello everyone, I have been on a long dry spell from artifact hunting. I hunted for about twenty years from about 1985 to 2005 or so. All of my hunting has been in two plowed fields that I had permission to hunt. Unfortunately both properties were sold and one has a storage facility built on it and the other is a subdivision now. I still have the jones to get out and hunt but no longer know anyone who has a farm. There are not many people around here willing to let you in their fields so I am stuck in a rut. I have over 100 what I call nice points. I consider a find nice if it's 90% in tact. I have maybe 20 that are perfect or 100%. I also have some other artifacts like scrapers, hammer stones, grinding stones, mortar and pestle, and one tiny game ball about the size of a marble. I have one nice fake a friend napped and gave me that's pretty cool but like all the fakes I have seen it's just too perfect. By far the best point I have is one given to me by my sister in law. My wife and I have helped her and her family several times in the past and never need help in return so when she found it in her front yard... no kidding she can't sit still and talk on the phone so she has walked a ditch around a tree in her front yard. She was walking and gabbing one morning after a heavy rain and looked down and there it was just laying there. She knew what it would mean to me and couldn't wait to give it to me. It's about 2" Kirk corner notch with nice serrations in absolutely perfect condition. Anyway I have been watching youtube videos of people creek hunting and may have to try some of that next spring. If anyone has permission to hunt fields within say 100 miles of Blount County Alabama Ii would love to bring my daughter some Saturday. We adopted her from foster care a few years ago and she has had a very troubled past. We had no want or reason to adopt as I am 65 and my wife 50 but when we met her,heard her story and found out she was headed to a group home while both her brothers were being adopted we just had to step up. She is 11 now aNd loves to look at my collection so Ii know it would thrill her to find her own. She tells me when I pass away all she wants is my arrowheads and my AR15. Ok so I am running on so I will get off here now lol.

Welcome to arrowheads.com
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome from east Tn!

You came to the right place here to share finds and learn. The story about your adopted daughter is very heartwarming. My family took in foster children for many years, and ended up adopting a baby boy who has turned into a good brother (high school age now)... I'm really interested in seeing your finds and that kirk, one of my favorite types. We have one member who is very knowledgable about Alabama artifacts (Sailorjoe) I'm sure he will be interested in seeing your finds... Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Welcome to the site. Looking forward to seeing your finds.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to our forum from SE VA! By all means share your previous finds with us!
          Child of the tides

Comment

Hey Junkman - Sounds like you have a solid redneck daughter who's into artifacts. So you gotta know that you've come to the right place to share your collection and possibly find somewhere to take that daughter for an intro to arrowhead hunting. Good luck and please show us your collection.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Welcome JM~!
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome to The Site Junkman!
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Welcome from arrowheads .com from NW Arkansas
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Welcome Junkman. Hope you find some new hunting grounds!
                    South Dakota

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I will try over this holiday weekend to take some pics of my stuff and post them here next week. I am new so I will try and figure out the process and where to post them. Thanks again everyone.

Junkman

Comment

Welcome to ah.com
                        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hi JM. Welcome to our forum. Many years ago I use to hunt in North Alabama, primarily in Morgan, Limestone, and Madison Counties. I don't live in that area now so can't be any help to you in locating sites to hunt nor am I in touch with any of my former hunting buddies. Wish I could help out. Having said that it seems that your close proximity to the Locust Fork of the Warrior River and not too far from the Tennessee River would be prime areas to look for sites. Also, I think there may be a chapter of the Alabama Archaeology Society in Cullman. Folks are usually reluctant to share detailed knowledge of where they hunt but associating with them or other collectors may give you some insights that you don't have now. Good luck.

Comment

• junkman1031
                            junkman1031 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for the info sailorjoe. I am very close to the locust fork of the warrior river and had planned on walking the river and maybe dig and sift some gravel. My old holes were in Madison County as I am from Huntsville and Moved to Blount County 10 years ago when I married. Thanks again,
                            John

Welcome to the forum.
                          You chose an odd name for someone with such a big heart.
                          Bruce
                          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• junkman1031
                            junkman1031 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Bruce, I didn't pick the name it was given to me 45 years ago when I worked at a custom paint shop that was right next to Iron Horse motorcycle shop. For the first year I worked there I would go through the bike shop's junk pile and dig out Harley parts I thought I could use. I took a bent rigid frame and straightened it, took a bent wide Glide with an adjustable triple tree and replaced the down tubes with a new set of 20" over stock, heated and straightened the neck of the triple tree. Took a bent stock fender and cut it to weld back together and made one of the first duck tail fenders. Found a leaky gas tank purged it out on my car exhaust pipe so I could weld it up. And so on until I had almost a whole bike built. I had to buy a tranny, coil, plug wires, and an engine to get it on the road. Back then that stuff was dirt cheap. I paid 20.00 for a four speed tranny and ended up buying a 1952 Panhead that a guy thought he blew up for 300.00. Come to find out the coil was all that was wrong with it. So living in that junk pile got me the name.
                            John

• 2ndoldman
                            2ndoldman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is a great story of ingenuity John. 👍👍👍How long did you ride that hog?

I rode that one a few years but it led to many more through the years. I just recently sold the last one an 07 Heritage Soft tail. Now I am thinking about building something along the lines of a 47 knuckle head using modern parts like the S&S 96 CI Knuckle head with a six speed and disc brakes.

Comment

Working...
                          X