X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone

Hello everyone

02-02-2018, 01:01 AM
    Derek Gilley here from Wicksburg Al a small farming town in Houston County just outside of Dothan. Born and raised farming that's all I'll ever do. Married with 2 boys one just turned 16 and the other will be 4 in 11 days. Collected all my life but really feel in love with it bout 12 years ago and had a good collection fairly quick. Then about 8 going on nine years ago I had roughly 365 points, drills, etc stolen from me and for some reason just quit going said the heck with it never find my points but did find out who done it. Anyway last summer my 3 year old and I were with a friend and he wanted to stop and look so we were walking and my boy loved it but all boys love the dirt and stuff. Couple days later all i had heard was I want to go look for rocks Daddy so finally gave in and at 3 years old all he wanted to pick up was Flint of some kind no matter how many just rocks were there he would say that's not Indian air rock Daddy and keep walking and would for hours. So slowly I regained interest cause that's all he wanted to do with in a year me and him found 68 points not counting broke pieces knives and scrapers and at go ahead and say 4 years old he has 3 personal finds of his own with no help what so ever and 2 of them are creek finds. I'll shut up now Sorry for going on and on just live too tell that story and figured this would be the right crowd to do so

This is indeed the place to share your stories and your finds! You won't find s better group of like-minded folks. So welcome to AH.com from SE VA and let's see some of your finds!
    Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome to forum Derek, I am from Twin City, Georgia about five hours from you but I have been over that way several times to go to the Dothan arrowhead show. Always enjoyed going to it but sadly last year was the last year that show will be held in Dothan. I may have seen you if you ever attended the show I set up in front of the cake sales ever year for several years. And also have some chert from Dothan called Dothan dump for a site which it was collected from. Sorry to hear about your previous collection but with the four year old it is a good time to revive your collection.
      Last edited by willjo; 02-04-2018, 08:38 AM.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Derek Gilley
        Derek Gilley commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry it took so long to respond i went to the show this past year for the first time. Being away from hunting for 8 or 10 years didn't have no desire to go but have some friends that attend regular around these parts you may know. Bryan Tillary or Scott Hudson.

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know them, I only get over that way for the show and being it is moving most likely wont get back over that way.

• Derek Gilley
        Derek Gilley commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotcha well if ever over this way let me know we can go up the creek I enjoy taking new people

Welcome Derek. Enjoyed your story, what's more inspiring than a 3 year olds questioning mind? Glad you have signed up and we all look forward to what you and your boys find.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from NW Arkansas
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Welcome to The Site Derek.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Welcome from the flatlands of Northeastern Illinois Derek...post up some pics of those Bama finds...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Welcome from North Carolina glad your here can't wait to trade stories I have a four year old as well who loves rock hounding.
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Welcome Derek. Thanks for sharing your story.
                South Dakota

Comment

Welcome Aboard Derek. Sorry to hear about the stolen collection but, based on what you've written, you'll build it back up. Seems you've got some very productive sites and those young eyes will keep you going. My Granddaughter is the same way about hunting artifacts. It's one of the best ways to strengthen your bonds with your kids and at the same time teach them about NA history. We're glad you're here. Show us some of your stuff.
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Welcome to the forum!!!! That is so awesome about you and your son. He’s better at finding them than me! Haha! I’m sorry you had your stuff stolen. I hope one day they turn up
                    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

Welcome aboard from the frozen north.
                      I am not the only one here who love to see your current collection.
                      Pretend that I live in the south and show me.
                      Bruce
                      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Welcome from Rhode Island. I had an old timer take me under his wing as the son he never had, when I was about 7. But it took too many years to become an obsession, lol.
                        Looking forward to seeing what your son and you find....
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Welcome from wintry southwestern Ontario.

Comment

I usually don’t comment on this I leave it up to the mentors . BUT I read your story and wanted to say with those two boys you can now relive your childhood . Your first paragraph with Alabama in it and farms tells me ,,,well you off to another good start. . I am in Georgia part of the time and there are plenty of points in our region .
                            What part of Alabama . May do a trade walk some day .
                            Welcome .

Comment

Working...
                            X