Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To be or not to be (Effigy or not) that is the question! I’m new and glad to be here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the extra photos! Seeing your other examples like the item in question helps, and imo all are Ironstone concretions and not pottery. Larger examples with cup like features are often called "paint pots" by collectors and can contain red iron oxide wich could be harvested as pigment for paints.

You are finding some cool artifacts and lots of good signs!

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Glad you came by and hope you stick around. A lot of good folks here who will help you out and help you learn.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Alpha Hector 64 This is Tango Alpha Mary ...
        You have the bug and some nice finds . Lots more to come .
        your always looking at the sky now relax and look at the ground for a relaxing hobby of artifact finding .
        BTW I would hang on to that unusual piece and take it to a show one day .
        You never know 👏

Comment

Tam great post lol- I dont plan on parting ways as the totality of the circumstances points towards holding onto it- Especially if there are more similar small figurines found in same spot this year. Thanks for advice.

Comment

I stand corrected, I assumed it was clay when I read “effigy”. I am bad that way, in that all the effigies I see or have seen except one are clay, as in head pots or animal effigy pottery.
            As a rock, it is almost certainly natural.
            you have some very nice points there....and count me among the impressed by the Apache pilot. If I could drive one of those, I’d never worry about traffic.😃
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Those bad boys fly over every night all stealth . You don’t see them you just feel them and hear them .
              Ditto . Thank you for serving Sir.

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                I want one really bad. It would also help with our hog population problem...

Welcome. Glad to have you. It’s a very unusual rock, but similar in wear to the others you lined up next to it. That leads me to believe you have some type of geology going on there making those odd shaped smooth rocks. You have some nice points as well.

On on a side note, a high school classmate of mine Class od 82, flew chinooks. I always tried to get him to bring one to a class reunion, but he never did. 🙂
              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
              X