New from Hays Co, Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Hays Co, Texas

I'm doing a semi-casual survey of a 10-acre plot that belongs to my mother. She studied archeology while the family lived in New Mexico, and she'd appreciate a few specimens that came from her own yard, so to speak. I signed up here mainly to get help interpreting anything I might find.

Me: sub-academic, but interested in geology, archeology, and anthropology since I was a kid. I thought the geology here, which is limestone on top of limestone that's under other limestone with limestone sprinkles, was boring at first, but it's getting more interesting every time I walk the property. It's in the Edwards Limestone formation, out west of San Marcos. Lots of chert, hosts the Edwards aquifer, and even the limestone has enough variety to keep one poking around.

Finds so far: what I'm pretty sure is an end scraper and a side or turtleback scraper. A few pieces that look might be cores. A chunk of amoeba chert threaded through a limestone boulder. I'll upload some pictures as soon as I get them edited to forum size.

Hello from the ragged edge of Hill Country.
    I used to be young and foolish. Not so young any more.

Welcome from east Tn!

Postem up and we will do what we can!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

welcome to the forum
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sounds cool ...welcome to arrowheads .com
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome from SE VA. Looking forward to your photos. You're hunting in some interesting territory. My hubby was born & raised in San Antonio & his aunt & uncle had a deer camp up your way on the river. Found some interesting fossils & a few points embedded on the river banks.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Michigan's UP and I knap a lot of rock from your area.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Welcome. Anxious to see what you have!
              South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, folks! I really don't have much to show at the moment, but I'll get a couple of pictures up soon.
                I used to be young and foolish. Not so young any more.

Comment

We are all looking forward to seeing what you have.
                  Bruce
                  In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
                  X