Joining in from Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining in from Florida

Hello to the group! My name is Susan, and my family and I live on the Central West Coast of Florida. We have just inherited a massive collection of arrowheads and other artifacts,so I'm joining your forum to try to learn what we have and how to care for them. There are probably over 1,000 items. About half of them are taking up my dining room table at the moment because they were piled in cigar boxes, and I hated seeing that! We know very little, but feel responsible for the care of it all. As far as we can tell, most were found in our area, some are marked, others look like fossils, and the rest are a mystery! So thank you for your help in advance, we look forward to learning a lot from you!
    Central West Coast of Florida, total noob!

Hello, from SE Missouri! Welcome to arrowheads.com, Susan! We look forward to seeing your artifacts and assisting you with the identification of them.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Welcome from NE Kentucky! Post pictures of your collection soon. I like flipping through ID books trying to help.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Thank you! Here are a few photos of our current situation, lol. Any suggestions for storage as we go through them? I don't want to put them back in the cigar boxes. I've already found resources on sorting them by shape, but if there are any links to help in handling this chaos, they'd certainly be appreciated!
        Central West Coast of Florida, total noob!

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! That is a lot! I see one or two Cacacto creeks, and a few others that I recognize. As for storing them, You should probably get a fishing tackle box and put tissue paper in the tray. Then put your points inside. As for the white rock... I have no clue.

welcome to arrowheads.com forum pages.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I also see an Adena. Really nice lithics too. I like that one corner notch point, and the Bifuricated base point.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Sday
            Sday commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know what those are, lol, but I'll look them up! we've got a local artifact show coming up, so hopefully we'll learn a lot there. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of research this week, taking photos and sorting. Lots of broken ones, and pieces too, so who knows what we'll end up with. Thanks for the input, it'll help get me started!

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry about the lingo! I forgot that you are a newbie. It will all become clear soon!

Shell Adze probably Queen Conch. (So. FL) You need a FL ID book. Overstreets is great but a local, simple good one is Bullens Florida Projectile Points. All your points look familiar LOL

This page is meant to provide typical jargon used in identifying, defining, and describing projectile points. It is based on information collated from multiple glossaries for general understanding …

Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Sday
            Sday commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! We were wondering if Overstreet would be worth the investment. I see they have a website too, so I'll probably use that initially. I'll check out your other suggestion first. Thanks for the links!

Overstreet's has actual pictures from collectors which is really great. Not gonna see that anywhere else except in collector's caseboxes. I have seen on many point ID books that they are not specific (enough) for Central and South Florida and some are confused IMHOP with some regional types by putting names on them from outside the region. An example of what I mean is that a Mississippian Triangle true arrowhead from your area is a Pinellas Point, not one of the dozens of names of similar, often SAME points from all over the US and the World.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome to ah.com
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Welcome from east Tn!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

You need to buys some display cases asap. The shell tools and other thicker things won't fit in them though. I would put that stuff on a shelf.

Comment

These are the last ones I bought...

indianriverdisplay.com

Comment

• Sday
                    Sday commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, I'll take a look!
                Working...
                X