New to the site and the hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the site and the hobby

I am from Lampasas Tx. I was recently turned on to knapping and find it very interesting. I have not worked on anything yet. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on so I can have some definite information before I do. I am hoping I will get some of that here.

I am confused about the difference between flint and chert. As in identifying the two and which one of them is better if one if them is better. I found these pieces in Lampasas Texas at the Lampasas River off of FM 580 between lampasas and Kempner. I found them today.

Comment

Hello Lynjane and welcome to the site. We are really developing a group of Texans here lately which is great because your state is an absolute hotbed of artifacts...particularly points. Im not a knapper but we have several resident experts in that field that can give you the answers you need. Great to have ya...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Welcome to site from Georgia, Lynjane. There is a scientific difference in chert and flint. Most people in my area use the name interchangeable. I think there is some true flint is U.S. but I don't know where it is. There is a good many videos on u tube on the subject but it is best to sit with some one that is actually knapping. There is a good many knapins in the country and I am going to one at Silver River Florida in Feb. There is some of the Texas Knappers that go to that one also. Enjoy hobby and enjoy site. Some of your Texas material will knap without heat and some will not. The last photo of the individual stone where the rock broke with a slick texture is the type of stone you want to look for and some of that may need heat before knapping.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome LynJane
            South Dakota

Comment

Welcome LynJane
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Iowa. Look forward to your work as you progress in the art of knapping.
                SE IA

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com forum pages
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X