North West Pennsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North West Pennsylvania

Hi, my name is Carl Haemer and I’ve been afflicted for 29 years now. I accidentally found a broken point working a summer job while in college and decided I needed to put some time in looking to find a perfect 1. Guess I still haven’t found the 1 I think is perfect yet.. we have a lot of glacial cherts in my area 30 miles S of Lake Erie, but I do find some OH flintridge and Coshocton on occasion. I joined up about a week before Christmas, tried to post a point I found on New Year’s Day but said file was to big..I think I may have figured out my camera settings for the next insitu if we ever get a thaw lol. Seems like it’s letting me post pictures I took with my old I phone.
    Good luck to everyone in2019, love seeing your finds!!

Wow that's an awesome frame...nice
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome Glacial Pebble awesome frame!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Welcome Carl. Great Frame!! You could give us a few closeups..... woi!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

I see a lot of awesomeness in that frame including a couple of gun flints.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

There is some really nice points in that frame. would like to see some better photos, maby half or a quarter of them at time. Welcome to forum.
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Some excellent points in your assemblage ...I’m not sure there is a perfect point , but they are all one of a kind! JJ
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Welcome and thanks for sharing your beautiful frame
                South Dakota

Comment

Here are a few insitu and in hand shots from above frame, will try to take better pictures of points in frame later today..
                  I lost my phone in May and got new I phone that takes Live and HDR photos. Hoping when I turn off both on camera that they will be uploadable..seems to let me post my older photos but any I’ve taken with my new phone says exceeds 2.0 MB limit..

Comment

Some very nice pieces in that frame.
                    Thanks for introducing yourself Carl and glad you have joined us. Would really enjoy hearing the story on your avatar!
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Glacial Pebble
                      Glacial Pebble commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I took my brother to a spot that I had found 2 egg stone bolas 3 years previous. I had found the eggs a week apart that year and to this day it still scrambles my mind..
                      We got out to the area and it started pouring with high winds, brother wasn’t loving it but I told him we were almost to the spot. It was buried, I think I just flipped it up because of the stripes. I screamed like a teenage girl and about gave my brother a heart attack in the process. Undrilled totally polished bird stone. It quit raining we stayed about another hour each found a beat up point. The only other thing I’ve found in the area of since is drill tip, but I will check area as often as I can until I die lol.
                      It was actually the 2nd bird I’ve found, first was headless and drilled. The sites are about 20 miles apart.

• gregszybala
                      gregszybala commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Way cool, once in a lifetime find there!The picture you created of you screaming like a high school girl would be believable and like you that ground would be walked until the day I died too.

Thank you for all the kind replies everyone. Here are some hard stone finds from 2017, and a few more pictures from 2017. I had to start a new frame in the fall that year.. had 5 months off work after a shoulder surgery. Walking fields so I wouldn’t re tear..

Comment

• redrocks
                      redrocks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome pieces GP...that stuff is rare to find

Bird pictures, headless found on April 19, 1999. Grandpas birthday. November 15, 2015 found the undrilled bird. 1 more for a flock hope my legs have the miles left in them.

Comment

• SDhunter
                      SDhunter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Start a new thread with your birds and other artifacts. Some people won’t come back and see them here after they have welcomed you. I just about missed it.
                      Gary

• pkfrey
                      pkfrey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think that bird migrated north from my back yard! It should be on it's way back any day now!!! Anyway, that looks like banded " gneiss ", a type stone stone used for several other birdstones found in NW Pa. These aren't as old as originally thought. Some have been found as a center piece in caches of Meadowood blades, on Intrusive Mound, Point Peninsula, and Owasco Sites. Long after the Atlatl disappeared, so their functional use is still a mystery. Even undrilled, that's a find of a lifetime!!

GP those bird stones put you in an elite club here in the east...those are superb....well you aren't that far from me in Connecticut so maybe there's one here.. .congrats on finding it. .you must been buzzing from that find for days....cool eggstones too. Red
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Btw, that Birdstone and bolas are awesome!
                      South Dakota

Comment

Dang!
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                        X