No announcement yet.

But Is It Art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you did ask what people thought, and when the answer wasn’t what you wanted, you persisted in arguing that you were right. A flint knapper is hardly qualified, in my opinion, to be the professional you need to look at this rock, regardless of how much flint he has knapped. It doesn’t make him more qualified even if his dad knapped flint. This doesn’t even look like flint. A geologist, or at least an archeologist would be more qualified. The point made by Geg, is that without the right professional, giving his opinion after examining it in hand, we will not be able to convince each other of our opinions. Just accept the opinion you asked for and move on.
    If more evidence is obtained, present it. You did say that flint knapper had never seen anything like it , so he could hardly be qualified to make an assessment.
    South Dakota

Comment

And so, I’ve put my bow tie and striped shirt on ! I have watched this conversation closely . Without need for a electron microscope , ( A normal scope will surfice ) I will acknowledge that long ago, that a theory was but forth that heat and drips of water, in ancient times were used to manipulate form. That particular theory has been quashed . Pecking is viable .I must also acknowledge that indeed the Neanderthal brain was larger than we the modern sapians . Is it possible that the above quashed theory applies to the Neanderthal people ? No ! Is it art ? I certainly think so. Simply stated, it does indeed look like a geofact / fossil to the members here. We have no reference to the contrary. We as a group, do not wish to discourage your collecting or exclude your theories ! We ask for examples, evidence . It would be a bold statement indeed to say the gentleman knapper was foremost in the world ! And for his word being the authority , absolutely not !The group statement here is that you art is a geofact/ fossil.
      Let us all progress to another topic, we all seek knowledge and are willing to participate. Please do post,is the answer to the question. Prepare yourself for honest opinions ! JJ
      Last edited by Lindenmeier-Man; 02-08-2019, 10:41 AM.
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I at times can be a bit contentious when threads like this appear. SD and LM much better said and stated, thank you.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I love debate Greg, it’s what it’s all about Sir !

The sad thing about a post like this is the amount of attention they receive .

Comment

You are right, it is a sad sad thing, and high time we took him up the wooden hill to bedfordshire...! SD hunter thank you for calling me out, you are also right- "It doesn't even look like flint".What could it possibly be???? A sandwich toaster, perhaps? A street map of Cairo? Set of steak knives in a presentation box? Maybe, a small Cairn terrier called 'Bobby'? I'm not really sure....

Comment

Although Tom and I were the first to suggest fossil, it is not necessarily a fossil. I will say that if far sharper photos reveals anything resembling quartz or other weathered crystalline forms within those lines, and in the full length and entirety of those lines, then we can confidently eliminate a man made origin. To understand why requires some knowledge of geology and rocks, and I will leave it to the finder to deduce the nature of the interior nature of those lines.
            Rhode Island

Comment

I'd be interested in discussion of "Thermal Shattering" on another thread if it relates to altered chert/flint to make it more workable. Hot or Cold. They "treated" preforms here in FL as well as used flakes that were blown off to make tools/points. My understanding of Geology doesn't help relate the object discussed here and "thermal shattering" unless that's what broke out the little holes in the lines.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

I would be very glad to have that discussion.Lets start a new thread.

Comment

Ok. I tried to access the 'heat treatment of lithics' section. This struck me as perhaps a logical area to discuss something like 'heat treatment of lithics'. However...I am not authorized to access this area. Is there a magic word??? Should I post somewhere random and risk the wrath of the moderator??? Give up and polish my etchings??? What to do??? Oh Lord, give me a sign...!

Comment

Originally posted by MagpieInTheSky View Post
                    Ok. I tried to access the 'heat treatment of lithics' section. This struck me as perhaps a logical area to discuss something like 'heat treatment of lithics'. However...I am not authorized to access this area. Is there a magic word??? Should I post somewhere random and risk the wrath of the moderator??? Give up and polish my etchings??? What to do??? Oh Lord, give me a sign...!
                    No magic word required. The Information Center can only be accessed by moderators and administrators. The information posted there is not in the form of ongoing or open threads.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Ah.I did wonder if it was just for the big boys. If its not a stupid question, or even if it might be, in what section should one start such a thread. I' m trying to play by the rules here...striving to tread the straight and narrow path...

Comment

You don’t have to worry about wrathful moderators. They are actually all pretty nice. Either start the thread in artifacts question and answer, or the thread right below it.
                        South Dakota

Comment

By the way you guys that said fossil were right on the money Plocoscyphia http://geosuffolk.co.uk/index.php/ne...ponge-in-flint

Too bad this person decided to take the low road
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• CMD
                            CMD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Wow, bingo! Way to go, Hoss.

Sorry I banned him before he got to see your link Hoss
                          South Dakota

Comment

• CMD
                            CMD commented
                            Editing a comment
                            He can still see it, and I suspect he can't resist looking. And he'll learn his assumptions about what nature can or can't produce were mistaken.

• SDhunter
                            SDhunter commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oh, good
                        Working...
                        X