Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

​​​​​​​How did you become aware of and interested in artifacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, that is an absolutely spectacular E-notch! I have a broken one that is not quite as good, but it's as close as I have ever come to finding a decent one.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• wmwallace
      wmwallace commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, trying to load individual pics of it but phone to computer communication is not functioning for some reason. It is a point type I am partial too myself, I get excited about pieces and parts of them as well, they are truly a beautiful artifact in general, I was just blessed that my uncle had this one out of premier lithic and it was not damaged. He would have recovered it in his days in the oil fields back in the day, teens and 1920's I am guessing. And being that there are 6 nephews I am truly blessed that he picked me!!! Thanks again for the comments. _ Bill

• wmwallace
      wmwallace commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, trying to load individual pics of it but phone to computer communication is not functioning for some reason. It is a point type I am partial too myself, I get excited about pieces and parts of them as well, they are truly a beautiful artifact in general, I was just blessed that my uncle had this one out of premier lithic and it was not damaged. He would have recovered it in his days in the oil fields back in the day, teens and 1920's I am guessing. And being that there are 6 nephews I am truly blessed that he picked me!!! Thanks again for the comments. _ Bill

Well, here goes nothing! It all started for me in high school. I was passionate about playing baseball, hunting and fishing. In no real particular order. Having been new to the district I was trying out in my freshman year, I was cut from the baseball team (which I made in the subsequent years). I was heartbroken, and resorted to splitting wood for days on end after school. Finally my grandpa had seen enough of my moping, and offered to take me for a walk to look for arrowheads to fill the time. Neither of us knew quite well what we were doing, and in retrospect it wasn’t about the arrowheads at all.

We we went to a nearby site which had been famous for collectors in our region for over 100 years. With a determination! We didn’t quite understand the need for multiple rains in order to find anything in a plowed field, but we walked and walked and walked. And eventually having a goal to focus on was something worth doing. One day it happened for my grandpa as he found a beautiful quartz point 5 feet from the truck. And I was happy and sad all at once. I felt like he was incredibly lucky and couldn’t believe that I hadn’t made that discovery yet.

A few yesrs go by with with no active hunting. I go to college to be a history teacher, and am goose hunting one day when a best friend and hunting partner bends down to show me an arrowhead. I scoffed as he held up a quartz flake.
    “That’s not an arrowhead!! I’ll find one and show you what they look like!”

we walked feverishly through the fields for what felt like an hour, but was probably 20 minutes. Our search yielded only flakes. I knew well enough they weren’t points, but a fire had been lit inside me, that I couldn’t let go of.

I walked for for two weeks, a few hours here and there with only tips or broken pieces of points to show for it.

Finally i had a fresh rain one Thursday morning. My boss had called and cancelled work on me; and I felt like the stars had aligned. Midway through that hunt I found a beauty quartz wading river point which is my first and one of my fondest memories attached to arrowheading. I have been hooked since, and have made it a real hobby. It has taken me to places I wouldn’t have ever thought to explore, and has introduced me to what will be lifelong friends, and has established memories that will last a lifetime and impact future generations.
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice quality quartz, Ben, and we never forget our first point...

• eannis6
      eannis6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pointhead, your story about finding your first arrowhead is similar to mine, thanks for sharing.

I was young and had family members tell me about arrowheads that they had found. I was likely 4 or 5 at the time and was under the impression that any triangular rock was an arrowhead, including the gravel in our driveway. When I was older, around 10, I had the chance of meeting an arrowhead hunting legend in my area who's found thousands who happened to be a family friend. He offered to take us on his boat to an island in the Chesapeake Bay that is rich in arrowheads. I searched and searched to no avail, and he said hang on, let me find one really quickly to show you what to look for. Within 5 minutes he reached down and picked one up. I was so awe struck and a little jealous. It was years before I continued my search again. Fast forward 7 years, I was 17 at the time and had just gotten my drivers license. I began hunting for arrowheads again that February. I searched family fields to no avail, and I searched at different beaches to no avail. It was then spring, and I ran into the same man that took me arrowhead 7 years prior fishing at one of the beaches wearing an arrowhead around his neck and he said, "Just keep looking, they are out there." This inspired me to keep searching. That summer I saved up enough money for an ocean kayak. I learned that areas where points have been found are usually promising places to search. I talked to a local man who told me stories of points being found in a cove that was across the creek. I went to the exact spot that he described the next day. I got out of my kayak, and I walked around about five minutes but saw no points, so I hopped back into my kayak. I thought, "Surely I am at the wrong spot." Then I thought "Wait, what am I doing? I need to search more thoroughly than that!" I then hopped back out, and a few feet from my kayak was my first arrowhead sticking out of the marsh underwater. It is the point in my profile picture, 1 of the 2 that I have ever found.
    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

Here is the individual pic of the E-notch that was in the coffee can my uncle gave me. At the time I was to stupid and inexperienced, just thought it was a neat arrowhead in the can with all the others. Great story Eannis and Pointhead that is indeed an awesome quartz specimen as well!! Thanks for sharing. _ Bill Click image for larger version

Name:	enotch 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	355330

Comment

Working...
      X