Photos of some of my Early finds and favorite Artifacts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of some of my Early finds and favorite Artifacts

Interesting Artifacts from far west. Found in 1950’s on private ranch property
    Found many years ago in extreme North western Nevada near a Paleo site. Arrow shaft /Atlatl shaft straightener ? Found many years ago near Paleo site area. Believe it’s a Spedis Fishtail point. Only one like it in my collection Crescent found in same Paleo site area of NV.
    Last edited by Sage hen jack; 05-25-2019, 12:19 AM.

The last point looks like it is olive colored and translucent, looks like some of the tecktites (sp) we find if it is that would be a very unusual find. You have some other nice points also. Most likely you know you have a crescent also.

Comment

Those are nice artifacts

Comment

I don’t know much on your rock but the points are great finds, welcome from Georgia

Comment

Awesome finds, I found some relics in the Tonopah area several years ago, so much land to cover and so many great relics!

How thin is the point you are calling a Spedis?

Comment

Clovisoid. Haven’t measured its thickness, but It’s thin and finely worked on both sides. Offhand I’d say it’s about 3/16” at its thickest section. I have quite few Paleo Artifacts, maybe couple other Spedis points. This is only point in this type form in my collection

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              We like Paleo maybe you can share some in a different forum where all can see. This section is the welcome to the forum.

Beautiful artifacts, SageHen...and a cool name too.👍👍

Comment

Welcome to the site Sage Hen. Great introduction!
              Searching the fields of Northwest Indiana and Southwestern Michigan

Comment

Very nice and also welcome from Georgia!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sage hen jack View Post
                  Clovisoid. Haven’t measured its thickness, but It’s thin and finely worked on both sides. Offhand I’d say it’s about 3/16” at its thickest section. I have quite few Paleo Artifacts, maybe couple other Spedis points. This is only point in this type form in my collection
                  Spedis is still a bit of a question mark for me. The original typology came from local collectors and describes a range of points from the Columbia River. I think type guides have gotten ahold of it and made it a much broader style of point.

When I see points like the one you have posted I tend to think they fit somewhere in the Western Stemmed Tradition. Whatever you call it, it's a very eye catching relic.

Comment

Yes Clovisoid thanks for the input! I’m with ya. They are occasionally tweaking typology on some of these far west points . The OS guide description of the Spedis #1 variant is close to describing the characteristics. The photo #19 of Spedis #1 variant on the Overstreet web site that looks close to my point -but my point is much more refined and it does have slightly more defined shoulders -as it contracts from the blade that —it does give the stem almost an Scott’s bluff -Western stem appearance but it’s got that little concave/notched stem base. I Lean a little towards a Windust variant— Boy Howdy—some points are just tuff to pin down!! Thanks again my friend. This is what makes it fun👍
                    Last edited by Sage hen jack; 05-28-2019, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X