New to this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this forum

I introduced myself yesterday in the middle of another new member’s (bogman’s) introduction by mistake. (Already breaking protocol!) Sorry for that, and sorry to repeat here what I posted in his exchange. I am Cecilia, a lifelong collector of nature’s artworks: rocks, shells, sticks, cones, seeds, acorns, driftwood, old birds’ and insects’ nests, empty chrysalises and cocoons, etc. I also love archeology, and have been to many sites, so I’m embarrassed that it took me so long to realize that some of my rocks may be artifacts. It was not until my beloved horse, Bucephalus, my outdoor-exploration companion of several decades, died, that I turned to my collections for solace and a connection to things natural. My kids say “mom's gone to her Zen place.”

One day, I was sorting my rocks into shapes: pacmen, ruffles, hitchhikers, stars, dice, marbles, etc., when I had an epiphany. Why did certain rocks have the same shape regardless of where I’d found them, what their composition was, whether they were igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic? Six weeks later, I knew basic concepts: shapeshavers, abraders, drillers, piercers, grinders. A pair of rocks I’ve had many, many years, “Mama & Baby”, may be really “Mano & Metate”!

The bottom line is I am enthusiastic, but ignorant. I am an avid learner, though, which is why I joined this group; I so look forward to being taught by your members! Until now, indulging this interest in solitude has sometimes made me feel a little crazy (“what if it’s just a rock?”), and then, slightly ashamed of my obsession, I’ll gather them all up, and put them back into their buckets. I hope association with you will help me avoid that feeling for good!

Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Welcome Cecilia!
    Last edited by Owen70; 07-18-2019, 06:44 AM.
    Northern Ky

Comment

Welcome from Ga. and my house and shop is full of rocks and unusual things.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Welcome in, Cecilia!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Tell me more about this Zen place ! Maybe I’m there and have never realized it ? Welcome to the site !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Welcome to AH>com
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

welcome
              Wyoming

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome Cecilia!
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I’m glad you finally found the right spot to post 😃 I knew you could do it. Welcome to the site I’m hoping to see some of your personal finds from your collection.
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome from South Carolina.

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome
                          South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                          X