Waiving from Nevada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiving from Nevada

Hello all. I’m in rural NE Nevada. I’m interested in both artifacts and fossils, although I’ve not found much of either. I’ve come upon a total of two arrowheads, neither of which was whole. The interesting thing is that I had a “feeling” before coming upon either one. I found the first one while out purposefully looking for some with my daughter. I felt we should look in a specific area as we drove past some large rocks, and it was laying on the trail as we were walking to the spot. The second one I came across as I was hunting mule deer on the side of a mountain. I was walking along a game trail and thought, wouldn’t it be neat if I looked down and saw an arrowhead. Of course I looked down and there it was, literally at my feet. That was such a thrill to think I was hunting the exact spot someone else had hunted who knows how long ago. It really intrigues me because from the pictures I’ve looked at, it almost has a Clovis style. Are there any Clovis points from Nevada?

When I was a teenager I was up about 8000’ in some mountains outside of Las Vegas and found a whole trilobite that I now understand may have been nearly museum quality. Of course it went in a drawer and was lost over the years. Now all I find are the rare broken trilobites, shells and small plant fossils. It is still a gas though.

I also like petroglyphs and rock art. My avatar is a Fremont pictograph that is up a canyon on the Nevada-Utah border. It is some 700-1000 years old, and is on a rock overhang along with many other figures, on the side of a seasonal creek bed. That was a real treat to see.

Alan
    Last edited by Wilderland; 09-09-2019, 09:59 PM.

Welcome to the forum, Alan. We like pics, brokers or whole.
    To answer your question, there have been several Clovis findings in NV.
    Last edited by Havenhunter; 09-09-2019, 09:21 PM.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome
      South Dakota

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi Alan, there are lots of great paleo sites on the Western side of the state, but I'm sure plenty on your side as well. Not always, but you often have to get out of the elevation down onto the valley floor to find paleo materials in the Great Basin. If you google Pleistocene lakes Nevada you can see some of the big ones, you might be able to find some old shore lines or playa surfaces that have material. If you are up in the hills, areas with Pinon pines were populated or at least visited by the makers of little pointy rocks. You can also try to track down one of the many obsidian sources. I've seen a couple of quarries on the Western side of the state where you are walking on broken tools and knapped rock.

Remember to only collect on private property!
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Welcome Alan!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hey from connecticut
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome! Thanks for joining. Eastern Nevada is Awesome. Actually the whole state is Awesome. Most people don’t Realize the many separate Mountain Ranges that make up Nevada. And not a lot of people. Solitude and wide open spaces

Comment

Working...
                X