Hi ALL from Southeast Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi ALL from Southeast Kansas

Hi Everyone, I'm not really new to this forum, actually I did post on it back before the site was changed here in the last few weeks. I am 50 years old, hunted artifacts now since 1986 -and- last fall finally found one of artifact collectors most sought-after-coveted point types, a G-5, 2 1/8" long Clovis point last October 16, 2009. Look forward to seeing & sharing artifact finds on here..............John Fraser, now known as "Pointedrockman" here on the forum..........

Hello I am from NW Ind. And congrats on the Clovis. I have only found 2 while I have been hunting one Burlington Clovis fluted on one side and another nice Clovis that was never fluted at all and made of some beautiful material that I am still lost on what type of chert.

Comment

Good Morning,
      Believe it or not, but a clovis was my third whole personal find ever. I had only been collecting for maybe three months, but had done a lot of reading, and knew that the clovis was a rare and highly sought after point type.
      They had been a huge point on the back side of my dads place where three springs came together. It was so big that they put an island in the middle. I had to a chance to get to it before it started to hold water, which they were having trouble getting it to hold. They had been pulling dirt of the adjacent hill sides to try to get it to seal. I was finding a lot of early archaic halves on the hillsides, and down near the island i was finding several large paleo mulit-tools, and just about ever other tool in a Paleo mans tool box. I had been walking around the pond for about 4 hours and had found only a three inch paleo blade. So I decided to take a seat on the slope of the island and look over the surrounding area for places I thought I had missed. I was sitting there smoking a cancer stick, and reached down to pick up my pack, when I saw a piece of shiny flint burried under the gravel, as the pond had filled about half way a few times and then receded back down to nothing, so the waves had took off the topsoil about half way up the island. As I removed the top layer of gravel I noticed a fluted base, and figured I had just found a clovis base. But as I pulled it from the ground I had to sit back down, as I said "No F'n Way."  :woohoo:  I had found a clovis! I sat back down and said a silent thank you to the ancient man that had left this behind for me to find. I knew I was lucky, but I never realize how lucky I was until I pull it out today and am still in awe. It does have light, ancient tip damage, and one auricle is a little shorter than the other, which was done during crafting. But it is made a very high quality Bailey's. It has great color and is highly glossy. The secondary edge work around the hafting area is quite impressive. I think the length is around 2 1/2", but not positive at this moment. It is a find I will never forget. And unfortunately at that time I did not see the signifigance of an in-situ pic.
      I have never even found a section or base to another clovis in the four years since. A few years after finding it I took it to a guy that runs the archaelogical society for our county(Texas Co) and wanted me to take it to Springfield, MO with him where they have the regional monthly meetings. He was very amazed and intrigued. He said that this would be only the second documented clovis find for our county. He was very stoked that he was going to bring not only the point, but the finder to the next months chapter meeting.
      I will get some pics posted after the show this weekend. Thanks for reading, and good luck to all in the search of that ellusive paleo clovis. I just happen to be in the right place at the right time. I see hunting success as: 10% knowledge, 10% persistence, and 80% luck!
      Justin McMinn

Comment

Welcome from Ohio.
        Keith

Comment

Working...
        X