I said I'd be back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I said I'd be back...

Greetings… It is I… “Painshill”. Some of you will (unfortunately) know me already, but for others it will be a new acquaintance. Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I’m both alive and well. I just wanted to let you know that I am returning to the fold and wondering if the fatted calf can be brought out? Or the goat (insider joke).

The truth of the matter is this. When I was lucky enough to be able to retire from the rat-race of employment, I made several promises to myself. I would spend more time with my beautiful wife, I would travel more in pursuit of my archaeological and geological interests, I would make my excursions impulsively without the constraints of calendar planning, and I would not be enslaved to the computer or the cell-phone.

Somehow, I got trapped… and this fine forum trapped me more than anything. I never intended to end up spending so much time in front of a screen trying to put errors and glitches to rights or helping you to build a comprehensive information resource for future reference. Neither did I expect to be doing so with one hand tied behind my back, using software that most usually didn’t want to play ball. I was spending more time doing that than in exploring the world of artefacts and this wasn’t the only forum absorbing my time either.

Ultimately, I decided that wasn’t what I wanted to be doing. No-one made me do it... I drove myself, but in the wrong direction. Enough. So, for the last few years I have been doing what I originally intended. There were dozens of boxes of accumulated items deserving of further research and study that I have been gradually working my way through and I’ve added to the pile during my travels with my wife. The other advantage of retirement, apart from the ability to just up and go on a whim, is that we’ve been able to make longer trips. So, we’ve had an extended trip to Alaska and Western Canada as well as a some of extended trips touring the southern parts of Africa among others. We’re recently back from the Kalahari. That pattern of travel is not conducive to forum participation since my other rule has always been that computer interaction with the outside world stops when we are on vacation.

As a consequence, that kind of travel pattern has meant I failed to respond to some of you in email communications and also meant that I missed the immediate opportunity to respond in kind to a very generous surprise parcel containing gifts from some of you. My sincere apologies. That package arrived safely (in my absence) and I fully intend to contact those who generously sent things to me and obtain addresses such that I can provide you with some interesting items by way of thanks.

In the meantime, my good Swiss friend Mario has set up a domain and a website for me from which I intend to sell surplus artefacts and such. I’m in the process of populating it with pictures and details of suitable items. Life is good, we have no immediate far-flung travel plans and I’m now ready to return to the forum to pick up on old friendships. Normal service will be resumed shortly and I will be pouring cold water on your geofacts, mocking your eppigees and misidentifying your brachiopods in the customary manner once I get back into the swing of things.

Very best wishes to you all and I look forward to re-establishing old friendships.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Welcome back Painshill, I believe I had just joined the forum when you faded away. You are held in high regard here and I look forward to your return. I guess they will have to cancel the planned memorial service for you on this site. 🙂
    Central Ohio

Comment

Welcome back Painshill! I have learned a LOT from your previous post and appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated. You have not been around since I joined but glad ya made it back. My name is Ryan and I’m from Chicot County Arkansas.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Hey Roger, It is great awesomely wonderful to hear from you. I envy you your travels. I hope you picked up some artifacts in your travels.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hi Roger, Welcome back, but not to much has changed. The same geofacts, rocks, and unique prehistoric works of art! And some great pieces also! You and I have had our discussions, agreements and disagreements, and I never met anyone with such a large vocabulary! Try to simplify things a little bit this time around, so people like me know what the heck your talking about! I am so glad to know you find your wife so beautiful, there's very few will admit that after many years of marriage!! Welcome back, Paul
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Hey Rog good to have you back with us
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Glad you have again found the time to deposit your two cents here again. As a person headed for retirement not soon enough I can understand your need and want to spend more of it with your lovely wife visiting distant locations around the world. We have missed you greatly but anytime you feel the need to explore please do!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I am so glad to see you here, Roger. I still value forums and especially this one. The value you added/add to this board is almost immeasurable, buddy. No pressure. LOL!
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome back...heard ur name a lot on here.
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

Wow, I’ve read a lot of your posts and learned just as much. You are like a legend on this site. Congrats on retirement and enjoying life!
                    South Carolina

Comment

Hi Roger! Good to see a post from you, I'm glad your journey has brought you back to this forum that you put so much dedicated work into. I recently took a bit of a break myself and it feels good to be back to talking rocks and your company gives an added boost of optimism to doing just that! Welcome back!
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hi Roger, Joe here. It is really wonderful having you back and knowing that you are doing well. It is a most welcome surprise! I greatly missed your participation and thanks much for giving us some insight to your travels in those far flung places.that your interests have taken you. And I'm glad for your safe return. Being retired for many years and much of those years I spent travelling I know how difficult it is to keep in contact with people. But we have to do what our heart leads us to do. Welcome back, for sure. I'm sure your presence will re-stimulate our forum.

Comment

Well, I'll be. The universal forces are once more in proper balance. Welcome back, Roger!
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Hey, Roger. Once again my heart goes pitter pat just seeing one of your posts as I settle down to learn from the master. The Forum just heaved a collective sigh of relief and contentment. Welcome home.
                            Deb
                            Child of the tides

Comment

I said hi in your latest post, I didn't see this one. Hi again!
                              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X