Hello there my new friends!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello there my new friends!!!

Hey there! I have been collecting bronze age artifacts, especially weapons for 20+ years. I have recently developed an addiction for Native American stone axes! I currently have over 100, I have focused on fluted, double bitted, and am completely fascinated with the monolithic axe. These are some of my favorites. I am eager to learn more from you guys and make new friends! All my best, Jon

Welcome from Georgia Jon. Interesting collection so why do most of your axes look to have grooves on the bit sections and what state are you in?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• aussiejon
      aussiejon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks ! This is just a few of my favorites. The ones with the groves are by far my favorite. They are called fluted axes. I bought a book called "The Fluted Axe" a few years ago and became completely obsessed with them. I'm in Florida.

Never seen axes with grooved bit ends before.
    Last edited by Cmcramer; 10-13-2019, 06:47 AM.
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

• aussiejon
      aussiejon commented
      Editing a comment
      They are by far the coolest thing I've ever seen. Not sure why but I am completely fascinated by them. Ha ha! There is an amazing book dedicated to them , "The Fluted Axe" it is what triggered me.

Welcome from S.Carolina. In my opinion, they have that “not Authentic” look.

Comment

• aussiejon
      aussiejon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input. I would like to hear more.

• aussiejon
      aussiejon commented
      Editing a comment
      You are completely wrong. Many are from established collections and one of them was found by a friend of mine.

I'm familiar with the style, but those all seem to be modern. I hate telling you that, but I would just be very surprised if those were ancient.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have started with a warm welcome, Jon. It's likely always dangerous to put together a collection of what one might perceive to be the very best, top shelf, examples of what one likes. The old adage, if it looks too good to be true is often the best guide. And it's difficult for me to distill my experience when recognition is at a second nature level, hard to translate an experienced eye. It's just my opinion, in any event.

• aussiejon
      aussiejon commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm interested to know how many hardstone axes you have, and how you know yours are authentic. Thank you!!

• aussiejon
      aussiejon commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry but you are absolutely wrong. The majority of them are from established collections and one was actually collected by a friend.

Welcome from Ga. Also enjoy forum. neat looking axes
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the site... Yes, we will be your new friends, and friends tell each other the truth ! Here, we have decades of collecting experience and perhaps thousands of years of knowledge about artifacts from the Americas. So, let me say the folks above are not being harsh, or demeaning about your collection. They are only being truthful. If you ask why on their evaluations, they will give you honest answers as to why and facts ...I don’t know if you’ve paid great sums for the artifacts, or not. We don’t discuss value here. There have been instances where people have been taken to court over artifacts that were sold as authentic and later found that was not the case. Again, welcome.....JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• aussiejon
        aussiejon commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of these are from established collections or have "authencation". I very much want your input.

• aussiejon
        aussiejon commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there. I am very happy to be here and getting all the educational information that I NEED!!! I would like to know how many hardstone axes you have in your collection and how you know that they are authentic. I've been looking online for information regarding modern versus historical mictoscopic tool marking. I cant fins anything. Please anyone who can help... Please!!!

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Here where I live, and from paleo times to this very day there were no trees here . In the past 100 years, we as modern people have planted the trees that are here. No trees = No Axes.

Hello, AussieJon. I’m Cecilia, a pretty new member, too. This forum’s members have been teaching me. They will teach you, too, if you so wish! Welcome!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• aussiejon
        aussiejon commented
        Editing a comment
        Interested to know what you think about the axes. Seems that you have made a decision!

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        They just look too perfect to me... like the pretty superhero in a graphic novel. The Oldies see more technical stuff, apparently. I have a lot of books, not a lot of artifacts. My books are very old, and have illustrations as well as actual pictures of real items in the Smithsonian, the Met, Nat’l History Museum, etc. I only know most artifacts thru research, though have been to many of the the major museums’ exhibits.

My first postings were Qs, like why someone else’s item was not considered by them to be an artifact. And, usually more and more specific Qs followed....

Read “Helpful Glossary for Newbies” in Off-The-Wall forum. It will help your view to remain (darkly) humorous, I hope!

• aussiejon
        aussiejon commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry , but you are completely wrong.

Welcome in, Jon!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• aussiejon
        aussiejon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Professor!!!

Hello everyone! Glad to be on board! if you have never seen "fluted axes" before, they are super cool. there is a great book called "The Fluted Axe " by Gale Highsmith. I highly recommend checking it out. I have around 30 books and journals about Native American stone artifact. Most of the axes I have are from artifact auctions, many have been in other collections, and some have been "authenticated" by "authentication services ". I'm sure all have various opinions in regard to their validity.

Comment

I am for sure that one of the axes in my picture is a reproduction, but I like it anyway. I would really like to get input on who, and how I can get an honest "authentication "

Comment

Welcome from East TN! I don't know much about Fluted axes so I don't have much input, but I do see some things I would consider red flags from the photos without seeing close-ups. I generally have stuck to buying flint artifacts and I've used various auctions, reputable dealers, eBay, people with no reputation as sellers and I've had good and bad experiences with most all those various avenues. A few select people I've never had any issues with. From my experience artifact auctions can be the sure fire way to get in trouble. Purchasing artifacts is a buyer beware hobby, and to be honest without alot of diligent study of the artifacts and areas you plan to purchase from your going to make mistakes if you begin to seriously acquire stuff. I know some people avoid these pitfalls but they are very few. I'm sure someone will recommend a reputable authenticator of Midwest artifacts to help you. I wish you the best and hope that your interest in Native American Artifacts stays strong regardless of the out come.
          Last edited by Kyflintguy; 10-13-2019, 08:23 PM.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• aussiejon
            aussiejon commented
            Editing a comment
            How do I learn who is reputable and who are not? Baker and bannerstone tom are two of the certs I have on a few of these.

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Your welcome, Not familiar with banner Tom. Seen a few but no set opinion. Baker is one of those I was referring too. Bad news.

• aussiejon
            aussiejon commented
            Editing a comment
            hey there, I really rely on the information that I am getting because I've only been in the hobby for 3 years and I have spent a lot of money and a lot of time and a lot of research and I want feedback. How many Hardstone axes do you have and how much research have you done on them to be able to know that they are authentic or not. Is there actually a person or two or three or four that specializes in Hardstone axes that can actually be relied upon for their opinions?

Jon in your book what does it say is the reason they have the flutes on them and what would be the age of one? To me they look as if maybe they could of been used as a sharpening stone on the bit but I’ve never seen one before. I know some of the Celts around here will have a divot on the base end but on a side for what purpose I couldn’t say. Thanks
          NW Georgia,

Comment

A description of The Fluted Axe, by Gail V. Highsmith:
            The only book published on these scarce hardstone tools from Wisconsin and adjoining areas. Topics discussed include the history, culture, production, and distribution, and provide a new interpretation of various archaeological phases for students, archaeologists, historians and collectors. The book contains multi-view photographs of nearly all of the known genuine fluted axes in museums and private hands. Fake specimens are also shown for comparison. Provenance and history is included whenever available. 11.5x8.5", 608 pp, b&w photographs, maps and diagrams. The first inside pages and the back pages appears to be very dirty but the rest of the book is great. There is no dust cover. This is a rare book on fluted axes."
            Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

Welcome, AussieJon. I hope you are able to find the help you seek here. We have some verrrry sharp members, and a metric ton of knowledge spread amongst them.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Verrrry sharp, indeed. Pun intended!
            Working...
            X