Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairly New to Native American Artifacts and VERY new to this great forum - GA boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairly New to Native American Artifacts and VERY new to this great forum - GA boy

Glad I found this fantastic forum! I am a militaria collector in Georgia and have spent most of my collecting days on Georgia Civil War battle relics. I am a photography collector and have collected period Native American stereo views, Albumens, silver gelatin prints, tintypes etc for quite a while. Photography I am comfortable with and can spot fakes - know reputable dealers and collectors etc. I have over the last few years started a collection of artifacts - 19th century (I hope!) and possibly a little earlier. I really struggle with items listed as correct Plains Indian, Southwestern Apache, Northeast tribes, etc. I really struggle with finding reputable dealers and truly knowledgeable resources who have spent their lives handling and dealing in these items. Native American artifacts are probably the most faked, and fraudulently represented (purposely and accidently) of all the categories. So far I have stuck with the large auction houses dealing with dispersing known collections. One pair of beaded moccasins, one large beaded pipe bag, and a possible French Indian War pipe tomahawk head and haft. The pipe Tomahawk head as been pretty well verified as a Colonial or British made forged trade item from late 18th century. I would love to move into other items but am just too frightened of getting taken to the cleaners and souring my experience. After correspondence with 2 scholars - I learned of the nasty characters out there and some really bad action houses. I hope the members of this forum can steer me clear of the bad guys so I can truly collect fine artifacts and enjoy them as treasures. I especially have a love for the French and Indian war period of American history.

Welcome to the site.
    Quite an introduction and sounds like quite a collection. If you ever feel like posting some of those pics I'm sure we would enjoy seeing them. It sounds like you have learned the hows and whats as to what you collect now so you know it takes a lot of learning to get comfortable moving on to this next phase of collecting. Post photos of what you are interested in and ask questions. You'll find many here are willing to help if they can. We don't discuss what something is worth but we'll give you our opinion otherwise.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com good to have you with us.Looking forward to seeing your posts.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Fakes are everywhere and fraudulent COAs are rampant. Personally I'd suggest that you start walking cotton fields and find your own. It is unbelievably rewarding to find something that was lost ages ago.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Welcome to forum from Twin City Ga. Some knowledgeable people on here and are looking forward to your photos and knowledge.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

A warm welcome to you from someone who has a strong interest in Colonial militaria as well as lithic artefacts. There's at least one other enthusiast on the site too and we have a collective membership with experience across just about every Native American artefact type you could name. They'll offer friendly honest advice and call it as they see it.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I knew this was the right place! Many thanks to all and yes I look forward to posting some images and other items very soon. I already feel better knowing there are some experts and dedicated people who are willing to share in their passion!

Comment

Glad to have you aboard. What part of Georgia are you at?
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome to the site, Georgia makes me think of Ray Charles and the adopted state song...
                  Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I live in the Stone Mountain area of Georgia - about 20 mins outside Downtown Atlanta. If any Georgia members have hunting "tips" or recommendations from any members on books to get started etc let me know. I have only seen a few arrowheads from friends who own land in rural GA. I would love to go hunting myself and know what to look for. Georgia has a deep deep rich Native American heritage.

Comment

I’m 50 miles north of Atlanta. Lots of artifacts to find just have to find the right property to look on. Always get permission
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome to the forum from coastal VA. Your enthusiasm comes through loud & clear! Buying authentic artifacts from the right people is fun but nothing beats finding your own! No doubts about authenticity! Plenty of artifacts in GA. Some of us are lucky to find several a month; others only find 1-2 a years, but it doesn’t matter. The fun is in the hunt!
                        Deb
                        Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome you and Kentucky point are going to have much to share . He to is a civil war buff and photograph enthusiast although I think is does wonderful work .
                          We visit Georgia twice a year and hunt artifacts . The lithic’s are wonderful here .
                          Tam

Comment

Welcome
                            South Dakota

Comment

Welcome to the forum ga
                              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                              X