Howdy from North Dakota!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from North Dakota!

Hello to everyone! I'm not new to Arrowheads.com but this is the first time that I've had a chance to check out the forums. I myself live up here in Minot, ND and work on the oil drilling rigs near my hometown of New Town, ND. (I'm a wellsite geologist so at times I get to screw around on the internet, at least, when there is a break in drilling or we have to trip out of the hole for a bottom hole assembly failure.....which is where this forum comes in to play.) But anyway, I've been hunting arrowheads/artifacts since 1998, a year after I graduated high school, and have been hooked on them ever since. I mainly hunt in Mountrail County, ND but at times my wife and I venture down to either SE Montana or NE Colorado and do some hunting.
    If anyone from Wyoming or Tennessee (near Nashville, where my sister lives) have any good hunting spots they'd like to share by all means give me a holler and I'd be more than happy (and thankful) to check out any sites you've got. I always like new hunting grounds! Kind of tough hunting up here in North Dakota right now but I'm always willing to do some traveling on my days off from the rig. Attached is a picture I took from one of my hunting fields looking southwest at the Four Bears Bridge which crosses the Missouri River 4 miles west of New Town, ND.

Here is another picture from the river. In my opinion this is about the best picture I've ever taken. It's of the old Four Bears Bridge. I think it was back in 1999 when I took it.

howdy mike from central missouri, i get up to south dakota about three times a year my wife is an enrolled member of the standing rock sioux tribe, so i am up in wakpala and ft yates quite a bit maybe we could hook up for a hunt sometime !!
    kent langreder

Comment

Welcome from Ohio. Thats a beautiful landscape shot!
      Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith!  I always like to get good pictures from my hunting areas so that when winter rolls around and I am unable to do anything, at least I can look at my pictures and wish.

Comment

That would be great Kent!  Do you have much down in that area for hunting arrowheads?  I've never had a chance to look much in South Dakota and southern ND except for up in the far northwest corner of SD in Harding County.

Comment

Welcome from NW Iindiana. That area around you is sure a pretty area.

Comment

Thanks!  It is really nice country around where I grew up.  Most of the land along the Missouri River about 30 miles downstream and about 10 miles upstream from the Four Bears Bridge is just like the hilly stuff that can be seen in the picture.  It is really nice hiking land.  We used to hike it quite a bit back when I was in Boy Scouts.  Just below the buildings on the hilltop on the left side of the picture, we had a camping area that we'd visit a few times a year for Scouts.  Lots of fun!
              Now, in contrast to the land you see in the picture, if you go east of Minot, ND, which is about in the middle of the state, the land turns into some of the most depressing scenery you've ever seen.  All you see is endless wheat fields intersected by tree rows.  I try to stay away from the eastern half of ND as much as possible.  Just can't handle seeing nothing while I'm driving down the road.  Drives me nuts!

Comment

I drove accross that bridge a couple of weeks ago and was thinking to myself there have to be a lot of artifacts around here.  I work in the oil fields as well and I am wondering where the best places in the area are to search.  I am currently located right between Watford City, Killdeer, and Newtown.  Any suggestions?

Comment

Old post.
                  MTWilber -2 years 3 months ago

Comment

Welcome to AH. I have hunted and have sites to the south west of you around Dickinson ND. But its been a few years since I was up there working the oil fields.
                    Chase
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

How did that happen?? I thought hey Ive seen that avatar before. Strange!
                      Joe.

Comment

Hey, it's because of Earthwhisperer. He is new here!
                        Welcome!
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Is there something wrong with my avatar?  As for hunting around Dickenson.  Do you have any locations that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Comment

Nothing is wrong with your avatar. You just brought up a very old post that is all and some folks wanted you to know that the original poster will probably not reply. We have not seen him on here for a while.
                            Welcome to the forums
                            Hoss
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

EarthWhisperer wrote:

Is there something wrong with my avatar?  As for hunting around Dickenson.  Do you have any locations that you wouldn't mind sharing?
                                Check you profile left a message there.
                              if you want more info it was long ago but I could put that in a PM.
                              Chase
                              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                              X