Hello from Central Texas!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Central Texas!!

Hi everyone. I have always been interested in finding artifacts and finally trying to do something about it!! I am on a deer lease in Central Texas that has 2,100 acres on it. I have no clue where to start!! I live in the Georgetown TX area and would love to get some advice! Thanks!!

Welcome from Georgia, look close to water and high ground near water. Think where a good place would be for you to camp or hunt that's what I do.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

[QUOTE=parkenstein2000;n413419]Hi everyone. I have always been interested in finding artifacts and finally trying to do something about it!! I am on a deer lease in Central Texas that has 2,100 acres on it. I have no clue where to start!! I live in the Georgetown TX area and would love to get some advice! Thanks

look for middens or scattered fractured limestone that’s been fired/burned ( bust it open and smell it methane like/rotten egg smell and sometimes pinkish) . Search Along the high side of creeks or rivers. Also look for a cave/ shelter. Stick along the draws or creeks first walk along the bank looking for flat areas. If you see flint chips your in the right place. Focus near water or where water flows when it rains f then expand out .

Comment

Originally posted by parkenstein2000 View Post
        Hi everyone. I have always been interested in finding artifacts and finally trying to do something about it!! I am on a deer lease in Central Texas that has 2,100 acres on it. I have no clue where to start!! I live in the Georgetown TX area and would love to get some advice! Thanks!!
        Just because you don’t see anything on surface doesn’t mean theres not anything there but Indians had a tendency to camp in same areas for 100’s of years problem is it’s been 100’s of years since there’s been anyone on those sites, so you may have to dig to know if there’s anything down there,especially in pecan bottoms or lower elevation areas. I heard before I left Texas that some folks in campwood had to go 14’ deep to get to early archaic . Deepest midden I’ve ever dug was 6’ solid rock BRM. Deepest site on that ranch went over 20’ solid midden rock. Right off the frio river.
        Last edited by SGT.Digger; 01-01-2020, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the site. A lot of great folks here many from your area. We look to seeing you finds.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Central Arkansas!
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

New here as well, but I've been hunting for a while. I'm in austin, so I know the area around here fairly well. 21,000 acres, theres gotta be at least one or two juicy spots on it!
              Austin TX

Comment

• parkenstein2000
                parkenstein2000 commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool! Have you had any luck?

Welcome from coastal VA! My ex used to hunt on a deer lease near San Antonio. The river banks yielded points & fossil shells. Good luck & come back & show us what you’ve got!
              Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome!
                South Dakota

Comment

Hi P2000. Just getting around to welcoming some of our new members. Looks like you've been warmly welcomed by our membership which as you've seen includes some Texans. I want to add my welcome from Alabama.

Comment

Working...
                  X